Visited a local cafe this morning that I know carries really high quality beans from top notch roasters around the globe and ordered a pourover that knocked my socks of. Made me think. How am I gonna up my game to roast like this?!
Given, I love the coffee that I roast and have very few complaints. I also came to realize this wasn’t just a regular Colombia Gesha but an experimentally processed one which explained being punched in the mouth by fruit in a delightfully surprising way.
But, it did challenge me to think about how I can really grow in roasting and push my roasts to levels to reach the coat tails of the master roasters out there. I have found this community to be very helpful in providing different approaches and insights into roasting on the Bullet. What surprised me recently was that I took the Bullet Roasting Course from Rob Hoos and discovered my approach to the Bullet is very similar/sort of identical to his (not saying I’m anywhere near the skill or knowledge level of Hoos btw!) but more questioning what are the limits of the Bullet in bringing out the most exotic flavors possible from each varietal.
Just some caffeinated ramblings. Cheers! 
2 Likes
Did you in a way answer your own question in the above?
I imagine the Bullet allows you to pretty much roast to perfection (putting aside the need to develop your skill in finding the optimum recipies for a particular bean).
When you note “…this wasn’t just as regular Colombia Gesha…” it suggests to me that in the end the quality and/or characteristics of the green beans must be your limiting factor.
As a small Australia-based hobby roaster, I get my green beans from a few on-line stores, where I do not really know how fresh the green beans are. I am thinking that sourcing better green beans must be a quality bottle neck later on.
However, - at least for me personally - at this stage, I have ample scope to improve my roasting technique, before I need to delve into that. For you, it sounds like bean selection is where most effort ought to be applied for maximum improvement. … imho
1 Like
I appreciate the reply and your thoughts. Yes, bean sourcing makes a HUGE difference and I’ve noticed that between suppliers of similar varietals I can really get some that knock it out of the park while others are hit or miss.
I’m still willing to admit that there’s always room to grow as a roaster on the Bullet.
Hi!
I was wondering what coffee roaster (machine) the local café is using?
In my opinion to understand moisture release and heat transfer is the key of roasting delicious coffee. (And of course, the environment, the beans characteristics , in one word, the Nature)
Best regards
Not sure about the roaster. The cafe doesn’t roast in house but imports beans from top notch. local/global roasteries
1 Like
To me sourcing the best quality beans within your price range will always be the most important factor. I’m amazed at how often I think I’ve ‘messed up’ on a roast but it still tastes great because ultimately I’m really happy with the quality of the green!
1 Like