The WORST batch size

And yet, in the Andrew Coe recipe, there’s a note that says:

Depending on your available voltage, 220V users may find that the Roast Recipe runs a little faster than the reference roast.

I don’t know if it’s really that, but I can vouch that if I were to try to replicate the recipe on my 220V Bullet, I’d end up with very different results.

Ok, last year, the tech support told me the 220v could push a roast a little more. Or something to that effect. I was surprised by this year’s tech support changing that, and I assumed maybe they did some firmware magic? I was asking about parts, and they stopped replying. So I never followed up about the 220v vs 120v comments. Plus it takes them days to answer one question, so it can be weeks before I resolve any one question or issue. I try to be selective and succinct with them, as to not go down rabbit holes where possible

1 Like

I actually still desperately need to buy parts if anyone knows where to go. I’ll try following up with tech support again. And maybe I’ll ask about the 120v vs 220v thing.

But that is a good point, they do mention that there is a discrepancy between 220v and 120v on Andrew’s template recipe.

We’ll, now P9 is overheating again,

I put a fan underneath and cooled the room down more, and still overheating at P9.

The reason is likely the high PH temp.

I’ll get a stronger fan. I was using a fairly big USB fan, but it doesn’t push enough air through the holes in the bottom plate.

I’ve seen on the other thread that your room temp is 70f. That’s way low. I do have a 220V, but the difference should not be that much. I’ve only experienced that once, but room temp was 87f and PH set to 590f. I dropped the PH to 572f, and I was able to go through a 1kg batch with P9, even at those temps. You have a problem, but I wouldn’t know what the problem is. I am certain you won’t solve it with additional fans. Mine could’ve gone to 590 PH if I put a fan under it, but that’s for a couple of degrees of difference, not the gap you’re trying to cover.

1 Like

Thank you! Glad to hear that this is not normal. I noticed the issue during the first Summer. But was told it was the Summer heat. Really appreciate your candor. It is helpful in perhaps pursuing a fix.

One speculation, is perhaps my power can’t hold up, and it is causing things to run hotter while also not delivering full heating. I see P9 fade off after the energy from PH is used up, beginning around the 3 to 4 min mark (unless that is just steam cooling things down?)

*A correction, aillio tech support did reply to my last message.

Only issue is shipping for a small gasket is $55 and the gasket is $20, so, all in $75 for a gasket…. @.@‘.

I’m asking about local parts distribution, but yikes. If anyone in the US wants to do a group buy, I’ll start a new thread for that.

Have you tried Sweet Marias? They carry a lot of Bullet parts.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll call them online they have a few parts.

Idk, at this point, the $75 may be worth it, but I’m also trying to figure out what happened to my roaster.

I ran the larger batches and attempted to use P9, and got as many as 3 failures in a roast.

Cupped today and I deleted what tasted like burnt rubber or plastic. Some of the roasts had some potentially good stuff, but overall bad. Even the ones that did not fail. I’m trying to figure out where the plastic/rubber fume taste came from.

Messing around with smells during preheat,

I noticed that while the fan is off, air if back flowing, or sucking into the exhaust vent. Does anyone know what might be pulling against the exhaust? seeks like some smoke or air would get back in and cause some flavor contamination?

And air is pushing out of the trier hole.

i guess the question, is this an always on airflow thing happening in the background, or just a PH thing?

I think I figured out my bullet roaster woes, but have a tech support call and a cupping to go over before declaring victory.

Back to the topic of the thread,

500gram size, I’m beginning to like quite a lot. Mainly for how dynamic it is. You can use the entire range of the roaster or not. It gives you a ton of head room to play with.

700g feels like the most comfortable. It will cruise, but not have as much worry about falling behind or getting bogged down

800 and 900 are like “1Kg lite”, in that they are serious, and approaching them is like setting something motion that cannot be undone. They are probably the most relaxing once you getting familiar with your profile. But there is also no coming back from a mister on these weights.

1Kg, I dunno, I’ve never successfully done one. But I can only imagine this is the “Hail Mary” sort of roast, where you are using the Bullet at its edge. Recent findings may make it possible for me to roast 1K! Will try next week. I was too excited about the COE profile, so I tried it out.

Looks like I typically have used 500g.

4b2e40f7-1754-44fd-b3bb-f435370b0401

When I used to buy 2-5 lbs of a bean, I’d have to do a few smaller roasts to try and understand roasting that bean. Now I’m getting 10-20lb bags and lately I’m roasting 700g batches without problems. I like to collect consistent data too try and understand a good charge temp.

1 Like

I was snooping around some more, and found that my space heater was exhausting under a table that funneled a heat channel to the rear inlet of the roaster, and that was part of the overheating issue. Because my room might be 80F average, but that spot would be in the 90’s or maybe even 100F. But that wasn’t the only issue, I found a couple issues. I’ve got a tech call with Aillio this evening, and I’ll get more info.

2 Likes

curious to see how that comes out, and hope you’re soon able to roast the large batches more reliably!

1 Like

As it would be, changing ANY THING has an effect on roasts. So, new things to work out, haha.

Yeah, the 450-500g range is really appealing for a number of reasons.

Can do one batch and have a 12oz roasted as a result. Also, really dynamic with how much headroom there is to experiment.

700g is a really good vibe, I’ll try more of those, but not sure what to do with that batch size, maybe make a few sampler size bags? Or on 12oz and one sample? Idk, will likely move in that direction.

I’ve been messing around with preheat temps, and not finding anything solid.

Fan, I’ve been measuring and noticing it does affect the roast, but not the temps quite as dramatically as thought. So it might extend things, but you still get to similar temps, so I don’t find I’m as reluctant to use it as before.

Thanks! Yeah, I had the USB fan off under ROASTER, since my room temp was around 80F and I had pulled the space heater away so there would be no hot spot, and I think the air near the floor was in the 70’s…. Riding at P7 and it shut down with an Error!

Yesterday I tore off the USB fan grid and that gave it a lot more power, and I was able to roast at P9, but today things seemed more temperamental, even with lower room temp and no hot spot.

*room temp was cool enough that FC was pretty hesitant, and I had a couple beans snap loudl in the cooling tray.

I’m just also tired of the plastic and rubber stench. It is fairly light but it makes me nauseous over time. I

All in all, I’m really glad to hear others are not having issues with P7 and above.