Underdeveloped Roasts

I do the same thing…roasting my better or favorite coffees as the 2nd or 3rd roast. But, as a test, I did a “Playback” of a coffee from a 2nd roast as my 1st roast of the day, and didn’t really notice any difference…I think because I roast indoors, and preheat for about 24 minutes, everything is pretty warmed up.

1 Like

Great MEME of the “what if Rao’s theory is wrong” hahah I’m starting to think on this machine… it actually IS! the “flick” roasts certainly have presented the best roasts I’ve done. If I pull the heat back enough to stop that flick, the FC really stalls out bad. I definitely think ignoring the Bean probe on ROR and focusing on the IBTS only to see the “real” flick/crash is better. At least so far. I’m ignoring Rao for now.

2 Likes

Hey Tom,

I know this is a really old post. I’m a new Bullet R1 v2 owner and am having the same issue. Did you make progress? Find a solution? Did the machine just require more seasoning? It’s driving me crazy.

Thanks!
Micah

Interesting! What’s the reasoning for lowering your power to P1 as soon as you tdrop your beans into the drum fo the first minute?

It’s a method called “heat soak” - search the forums for more info. You should get a few discussion threads pop up in the results.

@blacklabs has it. Here’s a link to @quartzglen first post in the thread.

Glen introduced the method based upon his own experience as a commercial roaster. Works for me though I built everything on his early posts. When I looked at the later posts which had some roast profiles it was clear I use too much time for the soak- his roasts progress much quicker than mine. But I liked the results enough I have stuck with it for over 4 years.

Bruce

2 Likes

@tshepherd

After all this time has passed, what is your strategy for avoiding underdeveloped roasts?