Vent System Ideas - Casement Window

Hi all. I am currently on track to opening an e-commerce based, tiny roasting business in Seattle (excited!). We found a prospective space where the landlord is allowing us to roast with our Bullet. (I cannot roast any longer from home as neighbors are not happy about smoke). That being said, there is one thing about the space that is concerning to us.

The window that comes with the space is a casement-type (cracks outward instead of the sliding type). Because I am not well-versed in ventilation, now I’m not sure how we can effectively and safely vent the smoke. In a perfect world, my thought was to attach one of these window vent to a sliding window: https://a.co/d/eSDWRhi
If anyone wouldn’t mind sharing their setups or ideas regarding venting through casement windows I would love to learn about them! Thank you.

I think your best cheapest option is make a piece to go in there and put it in and take out when roasting . My primary concern would be security.

You could use plywood, diamond plate or FRP panels. Glue some reflex on for insulation

Can secure with some sort of toggle perhaps. Also if there’s sidewalk below some sort of lanyard in case it falls.

Good luck on your venture!

1 Like

If you look at the ventilation-related articles on this forum, you’ll find a lot of ideas regarding ducting, fans, etc. An important consideration is where your make-up air is going to come from - is there another window or opening that will allow clean air in?

1 Like

Those are some great ideas. I will check out the materials and see if we can get creative with it. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi John. I did check out the ventilation articles and bought some essentials such as the cloudline s4 fan, duct hoses, exhaust adapters etc. However, I couldn’t seem to find a setup that works around casement windows yet… (I’ll look again!). As for make-up air, there is another casement window on the other side. I hope that is enough for the Bullet…

Hey smasaki4828.i8Hp,

Are you objecting to being not able to seal around the vent pipe going through the window so you can keep the weather out?

Elsewise, just stick an easily removable piece of flex duct through the gap at the bottom, perhaps angling towards the central, fixed part of the window, whenever you roast and remove in between roasts. Unless there is a strong wind towards your window, most of the smoke should rise from the hot air and stay outside.

If you want something more permanent/sealed, cut a piece of plywood with a hole for the vent to insert between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the frame when the window is open to its fullest extent. Then cut and tape a pair of triangular gussets out of polyethylene sheeting to seal the sides. When you are done roasting, remove the plywood and close the window. The gussets should accordion and not need removing.

-Gray

did not check the age of this post before i revived it

Here’s an idea:

Plywood cut to size of window with a hole big enough for your tube/hose/vent (doesn’t have to be plywood)

Some form of weather sealing to go around the edges of the plywood.

Some form of latch to hold the plywood in place while in use

Flexible vent hose(or some other venting solution)

If you are roasting near the window and your hose isn’t too far away just have the hose hanging(upside down u) half outside and half just over the roaster exhaust.

Something like this if you need fans on a budget:

Hope it helps!

1 Like