Why Does Cycle to Next Roast Stop Cooling Fan

In the RT3 software, when you’re doing back to back roasts, clicking on “Cycle to Next Roast” stops the bean cooling fan. It would be much better if you could start preheating the roaster while continuing to cool the beans.

It shouldn’t. Hopefully there will be a change in RT3 to correct this. You probably already know this but in the interim you can get there with the Bullet control panel. After you drop the beans to the cooling tray:

• press F1 (control panel displays BAC)
  • Use +/- to adjust preheat temp if necessary; then
  • press PRS (Bullet goes to Preheat with cooling fan running & C9 displayed)

This should get you by till the RT3 buttons get a fix.

Bruce

1 Like

Does cooling fan cool anything other than the beans? If you are done with cooling the beans (say for foru minutes or so), is there any reason why not to cycle out of cooing to the shutdown position?

The fan does indeed keep turning after cooling is shut down. But that minimum fan speed is set independent of the Cooling Fan setting. Going to C0 leaves the fan turning over at C2’ish.

Bruce

ps- that’s in f/w 562.

Has this been fixed yet? I don’t want to test it for fear of wrecking another batch of beans.

Not sure… there’s been a change in that area but I haven’t tried it. I still use F1 & PRS buttons to cycle to the next roast while the beans cool.

Bruce

I’ve been told that s/w button (“Cycle to next mode”) isn’t to be used for going to BAC(k-to-back). It only takes the roaster to the next operating mode after COOL which is SHUTdown. And in terms of the f/w that means it leaves COOL mode which shuts off the cooling tray fan.

The issue is that the F1 button isn’t accessible to s/w; only PRS is accessible. So as users we have to use F1 → (BAC displayed; adjust PH temp if needed) → PRS. That last PRS step with BAC displayed moves the roaster from BAC(k-to-back) mode and launches Preheat.

Bruce

1 Like