Yellowing/163 C

Maybe a silly question. I read somewhere that yellowing begins around 163 degree C. I’ve found it to be pretty true. If I forget to mark “yellow” can I go back and find where the 163 threshold is and mark it accordingly? Anyone else see this to be pretty accurate?

Judging color is too subjective for my taste, I’ve convinced myself the LED light which illuminates the beans thru the glass window likely has too much blue-weighted spectrum to make the guesstimate rational. So I took the cowards way out and settled on 330°F/165.6°C as the Yellow point and I mark that temperature as the color event. Works for my purposes but then I’m roasting the same variety most of the time. For decaf it’s a lost cause. And as usual YMMV…

Bruce

2 Likes

Hey,

I’m marking all my roasts as yellow @ 170c IBTS. Dunno if that is wrong or right but it gives me some kind of goal that I can work with when I need to tweak stuff.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Yes, you can. Go to your roast, search on the graph, by hovering with the mouse over it, to find the time and temperature you want, and then go to edit and edit milestones. Personally, I mark yellow when I see it.