Combination of deadman alarm and PRS on RT

The roast I’m talking about…

roast.world/braca19452f9m/roasts/0EdVhukK8DNHDqEnW-PoI

I had this problem twice, but the third time I’ve manged to beat it. Inbetween me clicking on PRS in RT , and clicking on “Yes” afterwards, the alarm went off. I now know that, but haven’t noticed the previous 2 times. Tonight, the bullet wouldn’t go into cooling mode as I was unable to stop the roast. I clicked on PRS and then “Yes”, but it went into confusion and I had to cycle the roaster to put it into cooling again. The second roast tonight, I cliked on PRS in RT, heard the alsrm, pressed a button on the roaster, clicked “Yes”, and all went well. I really wouldn’t even want to reproduce the thing, but I would like to know is there anyway around this without operating directly on the machine instead of RT. I don’t know what’s worse, stopping the roast accidentally, or prolonging the roast accidentally. I hope you’ll come up with something. Thanks in advance.

When you get the A-02 warning (dead man switch) you have to press a button on the roaster. Pressing a button in RT will not work.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. My quarrel is with the dialogue after pressing the PRS button to end the roast, which allows time for many things to go wrong. I was thinking if it was possible to make something more practical, like a double click or hold or something like that. If not, I’ll end the roasts exclusively by pressing the button on the machine, because ending them through RT seems a bit adventurous. Although this doesn’t always occur, once would be enough and 3 times already too much.

Probably of no real help but fwiw…

As I understand the issue, EU certification requires direct operation of the Bullet to confirm the operator is actively operating/managing the machine. That relates to the A-02 alarm. Operating remotely isn’t seen as proof.

I’ve used the control panel PRS from the git-go. No confirmation- just one-and-done. But then I started with RT2 which didn’t replicate control panel buttons e.g. PRS. Roaster control was at the control panel. Being an old toot I blame age for me resistance to retraining myself to use the soft buttons of RT4.

Plus I’m roasting to 2Cs. So I have one hand resting on the control panel housing as I tilt the bean chute stopper to hear. So the hardware-PRS is right there. My other hand is on the mouse ready to mark 2Cs. If I were roasting to a lighter finish I’d very likely feel differently.

Would RT4 button behavior which emulates the control panel resolve the issue? I.e. 1-click and the command is done… ??

As always, just my personal preference. So YMMV.

Bruce

Yeah, I’ll get myself used to that if nothing comes up.

Yes, my problem is exactly that I need to click on “Yes” in the popup window after I click on PRS. On the other hand, people have had problems with pressing PRS accidentally, so this thing was implemented. I’m just probing to see if both worlds can be happy. Maybe it’s an exaggerated utopian vision. :smiley:

Ahhh… you and Aldous Huxley!! :innocent:

I understand- your attention is being directed away from the roast at a time when there are multiple things going on. Maybe there’s a way to simplify the confirmation in RT4… ??

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. This is a good idea. “Plus I’m roasting to 2Cs. So I have one hand resting on the control panel housing as I tilt the bean chute stopper to hear. So the hardware-PRS is right there. My other hand is on the mouse ready to mark 2Cs.”

Ron

I’ve registered my opinion on this in another thread but will reiterate here: clustering the software PRS button with the power and fan controls is visually clean but a real problem from a usability perspective.

Better would be to follow the principle (this doesn’t mean “mimic the layout”) of the hardware panel by setting PRS button far from all other buttons. Then, pressing it can have exactly the same effect as the hardware button, with no need for a confirmation dialog, which I presume is there to deal with the possibility of fat fingering PRS due to the current layout.

I can recommend using the keyboard instead of fiddling with the mouse. Besides the keys controlling the power / fan / drum, the spacebar is the PRS button.
To end your roast simply press spacebar then enter.

Are these keyboard “short cuts” documented somewhere? A link would be great! I have been on a roasting hiatus for 5 months and plan to go back to it soon and I know my RT is going to do a forced update as soon as I connect things up. I don’t want to be pressing the spacebar to end a roast by mistake… just not cool… since the RT version I was on doesn’t have this. I still wish you guys would let us stay on the version we choose… for me “it ain’t broke”. Reading about all the issues folks have been having lately makes me nervous about what I’m going to run into :woozy_face:

You can press SHIFT + / to see a modal popup with all the shortcuts.

Cool, hopefully I can turn off that spacebar shortcut.

Well, I see that a lot of things that I already knew are popping up. As I mentioned in the very first post, I know that I have to press the button on the machine and will be doing that. I won’t touch RT except for yellowing and FC. The point was that a combination of these things sends the bullet in a bad place. I almost lost a roast because the cooling wouldn’t start. I repeat, I have no problem operating on the machine itself, but I thought you might want to know that the confirmation thing can cause serious trouble (yes, even with the keyboard). I’m not that rich to reproduce this thing more than twice, which is the number of times it happened to me, so I’ll just leave it here. Personally, I don’t gain anything if something changes in this regard, nor do I care. I have a perfectly functioning machine that I can use instead of software.

1 Like