Exhaust hood options

Yea…I sometimes have trouble hearing the cracks too but I start taking the tryer out to listen for it as it approaches the temp range for 1C and 2C.

Just curious, that white sheet of material over the window where your vent ducts are attached to, is that “permanently” left up on your window?

Nope, it’s just a piece of ‘plasticore’ (it’s like cardboard, but plastic—the stuff they make lawn signs and the like out of) that I picked up at Lowes. It clips into the window where the screen normally goes. I just install it when I’m roasting, only takes a sec.

That’s a good setup… someday I might have to consider this. Right now it’s just under my range hood.

1 Like

Long time lurker, First time poster!

Just finished my mobile roasting unit, the funnel at exhaust is the cloud line 6in to 8in adapter.

The table is from Ikea (BROR) and I just drilled two screws to hold back wooden plate and another screw with the clamp to hold the upper part.

The consistency is staggering different than before doing natural exhaust. I usually start the cloudline at 50% at the start of the roast, 75% at yellowing and hit it at 100% at FC to stabilize a bit the flick and crash.

5 Likes

This thread was super helpful when I was getting my ventilation set up for my new bullet - Thanks everyone!

Now that it’s all done, debugged, and working well, I figured I’d share the final results.

I am blessed - we have a utility room with the perfect environment for roasting - countertop, false wall to hide stuff, accessible attic with an unused roof vent, good lighting, plenty of outlets, and a spousal unit that didn’t complain too much about the permanent roaster and vent mods that I made to their brand new remodeled utility room. I didn’t really give them a choice, snuck it in and and what was done was done :grin:

I ended up with a 6inch AC Infinity Cloudline S6 fan that sits on a piece of wood that spans a couple of rafters in the attic space. There are about 6ft of 6in insulated flexible vent hose that comes from the hood through a 12in dead space behind the wall (don’t ask…) , and about 4ft going to the roof vent.

So as not to make too big of a hole in the spousal unit’s new room, I put in a 4in flange and 90’ elbow then transitioned to 6in the rest of the way.

I thought this alone would work OK, but was still getting leakage into the room. So I built a hood from. Thin galvanized stock. The stock was just thin enough to work with hand shears and bend against a straight edge, but still hold its shape well.

It takes up less than 3ft of counter space on my designated section of the counter. The vent works great and you can hardly smell anything roaster-ish when not in use, and that makes it acceptable to the spousal unit. GOAL!!!

5 Likes

Hi Otaibimn,

When you say staggeringly different, do you mean that it’s staggeringly better consistency or staggeringly worse consistency?

Thanks!
Greg

Consistent to a point.

Usualy had minor variations in temperature of the graphs between roasts. Talking 2-3’C variations.

10 roasts in a row I basically just use the profile in playback.

1 Like

Hey, hate to poke an old thread with a stick but it’ll ping everyone.

What’s the consensus, if any, for CFM/Fan size?

Are those with the 4in ducts satisfied or do you wish you would have gone with 6"?

I’m sure there are a million factors that go into how well the vent works.

200 CFM (thereabouts) from my CloudLine 4" isn’t enough for my needs. I should have chosen the 6" inline fan.

Bruce

Thanks!

1 Like

I roast in my basement utility room so venting is critical to make sure the whole house doesn’t smell like a roasting factory. I started with a 4” -200 CFM and realized that wasn’t going to be enough. So I went and installed the 6”-600 cfm unit and that works great. As I already had the 200 installed I left it and use it to vent the cooling fan. So a bit overkill in the end (the 6” would have been enough) but I don’t ever worry about smoke or smells in the house…. I do have to open a window nearby for makeup air……

2 Likes

6" 600cfm? What fan has that?

I believe the CloudLine 6" in-line fan claims 600 CFM.

Bruce

1 Like

Ah, sorry, that’s a typo. Cloudline 6" - 400 CFM fan…although when I have both of them cranked up I have 600 CFM blowing to the outside!

Ok so the s6 is sufficient by itself? I just bought the s8 because 400 vs 600 is significant and wasn’t sure. Now I’m thinking about returning the S8 and get the S6 instead.

Thoughts?

My bad- should have looked at Amazon before replying. From Amazon spec data for CloudLine in-line exhaust fans-
4" 205 cfm
6" 352 cfm
8" 807 cfm
10" 1,201 cfm
12" 1,604 cfm

I bought the 4" cuz it was the same size as dryer exhaust hose (4", and I already had some) not because I thought the flow rate was sufficient. In hindsight that was a poor decision as a cloud of smoke hovers near the Bullet exhaust as I hit 2C. I think the issue is that at F3, the exhaust fan flow rate of the Bullet seems to move about as much air as the in-line fan. As a result the 4" in-line fan doesn’t clear the smoke adequately. For my roasting a 6" in-line fan would have been a better choice.

Keep in mind if you move air out of a room, that air has to be replaced by air at about the same pressure as where the exhaust is vented. If you don’t provide that replacement air, the exhaust fan will operate below its spec’ed flow rate. Plus you may well end up with smoke somewhere you don’t want it. So if you exhaust to the outdoors, then a supply of make-up air has to be supplied from outdoors… open a window that isn’t near the outlet of the in-line ducting.

Bruce

1 Like

@krame If you’re roasting in your garage or something like that I would opt for the higher CFM. I’m in MA and roast indoors in my kitchen under a 900 cfm (with 6 steps of settings) range hood vent and I haven’t had an issue with lingering smoke. But as Bruce said, you must have a make up air source - e.g. an open window preferably one that is at least 3-4 feet away. In my kitchen in order to be up to code my plumber installed a “fan in a can” in the basement that draws air in, but when it is not really fridge out in the winter I also crack open my kitchen window a bit (helps get rid of the lingering smell quicker). If you look for my setup in this thread, my kitchen window is to the right side wall of that picture.

That’s good to know. Maybe the S8 isn’t overkill after all.

I ordered both. The S6 will be here tomorrow, the S8 Tuesday.

I’m anxious to get a real roast under my belt. The wiring in my garage is lacking so I’m treading water until I can get an exhaust solution worked out.

I have been looking at these and the Cloudline 6" S6 ouputs 402 CFM . The more expensive T6 outputs 352 CFM

So I think the 6" Cloudline at 402 CFM should be sufficient if hooked up to a hood that captures all the exhaust and you have the makeup air. The 6" I have has been sufficient to capture all the roasting exhaust I produce and I typically take my roast just up-to/into 2nd crack.

Since I kept my 4" 200 cfm unit I actually have 2 separate exhausts going out but that is by no means necessary and is probably overkill… I just repurposed the 4" to exhaust the cooling tray smells and heat out of my small utility room area, which is in a finished basement, and both work like a charm.

1 Like