Exhaust hood options

Thanks!

I cancelled the S6 order and decided to keep the S8 which should arrive tomorrow. I’m keeping the 4" fan for just the same reason.

I just needed to make the decision. I’m going to be doing some roadshows in the fall, one of which is at a library. So I’m just going to error on the side of caution. Don’t want to smoke up the non fiction section.

Roasting in our finished climate controlled basement is purely dependant on my wife not noticing. Otherwise I’ll be banished to the cold fridged dark garage. Which will cost around $400 to run a new circuit out.

Will you be able to run your exhaust hose out a window at the library?

1 Like

I’ve only been to the library once, thanks covid, since we moved here two years ago.

It’s a converted historic house built in the late 1800s. I’m more concerned about the wiring to be honest. This is mainly why I’m interested in picking up an inverter generator.

Hey man! I like your setup. My setup is similar to yours. I am still waiting for my bullet to arrive but have been setting up the exhaust system before it gets here. Have you found that having the duct hang over the exhaust on the back of the roaster catches it enough, or have you added something larger at the end of the duct to help catch the smoke? I’m thinking of leaving mine like you have yours if it works well. I have 4" duct work, looks like the exact same as yours. Let me know!

Just for the sake of posterity, here’s what I ended up with:

AC Infinity S6 with matched inline filter box, 8" x 8" to 6" register for the hood.

Roasted deep into second crack, could visualize smoke from the bullet exhaust in a neat little white column without any noticable odors. Until I dumped the beans. Still have stock bean cooling.

S6 was set to 6 out of 10, first and second crack clearly audible.

10 Likes

Thanks! It’s been working great for me. I find that just the four inch duct is enough to catch all of the smoke if the exhaust is on full.

I like that filter box. Looks super clean.

There’s something to be said for just buying what’s already made rather than DIYing everything. I’m happy with how it looks and work.

2 Likes

Had a look at those, pretty expensive here in Canada. If I set up my roasting station in a more permanent place in the house, I’d probably look at getting one of those. I’d be interested to know how long that filter will last before becoming clogged. Maybe that larger surface area will make it last awhile. I switched my setup to just using a piece of carbon prefilter cut and placed in the hood while the fan is running (the suction keeps it in place). It works, but definitely some roasting crud makes its way into the fan.

I was using the skinny heating duct filters you can buy at Lowes for $5 a package. I had to use three in the vent above the fan exhaust. Then I found these big blue filter sheets there, also around $5, that you can cut to size. It’s thicker and similar to the material in the cooling tray filter. It’s also washable like the duct filters. I soak them in B-Brite and hot water.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Filtrete-20-in-x-30-in-x-1-in-Cut-to-Fit-Adjustable-Air-Filter/5005517111

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-12-Pack-Green-and-White-Bag-Register-Vent-Filter/3122205

John

2 Likes

Good question about using an air filter, so far for me it’s been at least 10 roasts of 1kg roasts. In my setup at first I had it hanging from my hood vent’s baffle filter, but then I found out that it will actually fit between the baffle filter the and hood fan - actually allows the baffle filter catch any oils (which is what it is designed to do) first. So far this setup hasn’t impeded my hood vent’s performance when I roast. I mean if you think about it when used with a central HVAC system it is recommended to replace every 3 months (and mine would be covered in my dog’s hair by that time :laughing: )

Just got my Bullet a week ago. Here is my setup - Vented out through an old bathroom exhaust fan. I have carbon filters in the bathroom exhaust fan and in the hood before it gets to the S4 CloudLine fan. All the duct work is 4". Have one duct going to the cooling fan as well. There is also an air vent pumping in new air so the air pressure doesn’t drop around the Bullet as I’m roasting. I’ve done about 10 roasts so far (including the seasoning roasts) and everything seems to be working great! Let me know your thoughts!

BBB1E206-A101-46E8-AD72-FD20B3FD54C9

2 Likes

Here is my new Bullet installation -
![BulletInstallation|375x500(upload://xJF8FCBkNn7Kg2JCkNkuLTZCBMr.jpeg)

It is installed in a repurposed indoor barbecue (a really bad idea, popular in the US in the 50’s). The Bullet itself is installed on turntable on an annular “Lazy Susan” bearing to make cleaning and maintenance easier.

I blocked off the flue with a piece of plywood. You can see a 25 cm “muffin” fan attached to the bottom of the plywood towards the right hand side. It does an excellent job of exhausting any smoke produced during a roast. There is a slot in the plywood for the flue damper operator to poke through so that I can continue to open and close the flue.

Since this pic was taken, I have added a small two shelf wheeled wire cart with wooden top for coffee storage and to give myself a work surface to use while roasting.

My hobby brand name is Old Goat Coffee - “Putting the gruff back in your Billy!”

-Gray Haertig

1 Like

For some reason the image didn’t take -

Bullet Installation.pdf (2.0 MB)

1 Like

Try again -

10 Likes

You built all of that to exhaust your Bullet? Amazing what lengths roasters will go to. :wink:

1 Like

To be clear, the brick indoor BBQ pit was constructed when the house was built 70 years ago. I repurposed it for the Bullet by adding the green shelf, dark green turntable, power distribution and exhaust fan (and the Old Goat ceramic mask that my little girl made).

-Gray Haertig

3 Likes

that’s even more amazing… you had all that built for a roaster you were going to use 40+ years later… That is some forward thinking.

3 Likes

Minor update to the archives. Getting a ton of indoor smoke. Needed to better direct the outside exhaust upward.

1 Like