Exhaust hood options

Hi everyone! I guess we all have received the email from Aillio about recommended exhaust configurations for the Bullet. Until now I have simply placed the roaster below the stove exhaust hood, but I am considering getting a dedicated/more effective solution.

What do you recommend? I am looking after models available in the EU. But feel free to share your setups, even if it only serve me as inspiration.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Alex

I was glad to see some vent guidance from Aillio. We have seen damage to bullets from bad venting. The main issue is people connecting some tubing to the back and directing it outside- especially over distances more than a meter or two. What happens is that as the coffee dries out in initial roast phase, all that moisture being lost is retained in the vent tube and drips back down into the machine when roasting is finished. Or it might be condensation from outside. We see all these signs of moisture in the chaff collector, rear fan and back plate.
So whatever design in needs an air gap. I think just roasting under a stovetop type hood is ideal. Or some other way of venting the area around the roaster without connecting to the machine itself. The other issue is connecting a powered fan via a tube to the roaster. If the air draw is too strong I think you are going to change the thermodynamics of your roasts! Sucking heat out, literally.
Anyway in the US we have a tons of vent fan options. Dryer duct aluminum tubing is not the best but
Cheap and easy to work with.
Just a few thoughts !

What email would that be? When did you receive it?

But why? Under a stove hood appears to be the safest method for the Bullet. Works well for me. It lets the Bullet control it’s own venting pressure as opposed to hooking up to a tube that might cause too much back pressure or pull the exhaust out too fast, affecting the roast. Unless you are roasting so dark there is a lot of smoke to get rid of, I would stay with the stove exhaust.

You can sign up for Aillio’s email newsletters on the top of their homepage…

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn’t work here. Nothing happens when I click the button (even with adblockers disabled).

Try this link to get to the sign-up page for the Aillio n/l.

Or just go to the Aillio.com site and scroll down to the bottom of the home page to find the same link.

Bruce

Still testing this setup but seems to work just fine. Cloudline S4 (200cfm on high). Roasted day before yesterday and zero smoke/steam bypassed the funnel.

I used the Cloudline S4 as well. Works fine, relatively quiet and uses minimal power at max speed. My makeshift “range hood” is an old 11" x 16" storage box with a 4" flange installed, dangled above the exhaust port as you have done. Mine is pretty ugly, but it gets it done. When my Bullet exhaust fan is at a high speed the Cloudline is hard pressed to keep up (I’m surprised how much air the Bullet is capable of moving!). The real bonus is the amount of brown oily residue clinging to the inside of the “hood”. Glad I’m not breathing that stuff!

Someone here used a large stainless mixing bowl for the collector… a really nice looking installation. However I could see myself missing yet another finger trying to cut the hole so I went the ugly route!

Bruce

This is my solution for the smoke. After having contaminated a cheap bathroomvent, I bought a professional vent. They advised me to mount a filter chamber and that’s what I did. Don’t laugh about the strange S curve in my pipes. Had to rearrange them and didn’t want to drill a new hole. Hope this is not giving problems with condensing water.

Wow! That’s some studly looking plumbing! I understand completely about not cutting more holes in the house. :smile:

I prefer to roast outside, so I did the minimum for cold weather roasting-

Ugly, but it gets it done. These days the interior of the ‘hood’ is yellowish-brown. That would have been my lungs without this kluge.

Bruce

Well, it’s not that bad at all ! The inline fan looks good. Perhaps you could install a simple filter. My former fan broke down because it was congested with coffee oil.

Topic Controls

Blockquote
My former fan broke down because it was congested with coffee oil.

Uh-oh… I thought you were concerned about chaff! Guess I’d better get something in front of the fan.

Bruce