External ventilation options

Thanks for the response and info. I don’t think LA has that in its libraries but I’m going to check. Happy smoke free roasting.

Yup, you guys are way ahead of LA Libraries. Congratulations.

I’m also in LA and wondering the same thing. If you google “3d printing services in los angeles” there seem to be plenty of options where you can send them the file and pick up the piece.

I found that attaching the vent directly to the roaster seemed to negatively affect roasting temps (too much airflow?) so I don’t have an airtight setup.

Instead, I have positioned a piece of semi-rigid ducting a few inches above the exhaust port on the Bullet. This feeds to my inline fan which pushes all the smoke out a nearby basement window. I made a custom “box” to fit the ducting into the window opening, and I have resorted to some thick foam insulation to seal off the entire window so it doesn’t leak cold air in the winter.

During most roasting sessions, I still have a pretty noticeable roasting smell in the room, but really no smoke at all since it’s being picked up by my inline fan.

2 Likes

I agree with “mttjhn”, I have a 3d printer and printed the adapter in ABS and was quite disappointed with the fit as it does not lock in to the roaster. My solution is very similar and I have added an Air Mover to the 4 inch ducting and a mixing bowl with the bottom cut out to accept flange. I use the air mover on its lowest setting and the results are spectacular. Remember exhausting this unit is extremely important as i believe carbon monoxide is present in the roasting process. You can find the air mover at a hydroponics store or amazon. My tubing is 4 inch dryer duct with the use of two flanges for the pick up side and the exhaust side that was mounted to a board and the window is then closed upon it. Adapting directly to the roaster can and will create issues with roasting temp regardless of the presence of an air mover in line. My two cents worth.

4 Likes

I use my homebrewing rig as my roasting station as well. I connect it to my dryer outlet through the window when roasting/brewing. For roasting I use a speed control on my inline fan set at the lowest speed, venting does not require a lot of air movement and as mentioned earlier too much can negatively affect the roast.

Here is my final setup. Seems to be working great. I haven’t had any issues with airflow, yet. I still need to finish painting the wall, but that is beside the point.

4 Likes

If you need something portable. Put everything on a cart with flexible duct. It works well in the garage

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I’m wondering if someone can tell me if its smart, or not to use the home venting system for the garage (seperated pipe) to get rid of the smoke.
See ECOVE - Duurzaam en energiezuinig ventilatiesysteem for a picture.

Help is much appriciated.

Regards Boon

I have never vented anything prior to this. I just read and asked a lot of questions. It works amazing. I suggest ac infinity cloud line fans that are speed controllable. Not only do I have amazing venting but my beans are cold in under two minutes

7 Likes

2 Likes

Your downstairs neighbors will appreciate that collection bag… well done! Are you collecting exhaust from the cooling tray as well? I think I see some flex hose underneath the roaster.

And a really nice bean-dump chute!! Very nice.

Bruce

I just tried converting from garage to indoor roasting. I got a portable vent to place in the window. I still can smell the roast in the room. Unless I can get the smell out, I will have to go back to the garage. Are you able to successfully roast indoors without significant exhaust fumes indoors?

Very elegant and optically appealing.

Noticed your question about roasting fumes indoors vs the garage. I have a setup (in my basement) that basically uses the same principles that many use in this thread. I also have experience with inside the house roasting that was vented with other roasters before Aillio.

All roasters that I’ve used (even when vented out a window in the kitchen) still leave some “roasting odor” inside the home if done that way. That doesn’t bother some, but can be a concern for others. My wife’s health problems can’t tolerate any of those roasting fumes in the home. So, roasting in the basement (vented outdoors) is the only way that I can do it safely for her.

Is the maximum (realistic) smoke temperature of the R1 documented somewhere?

I see that some of these inline fans (e.g. the infinity cloud line) have a maximum operating temperature of ~ 140F. That seems really low. OTOH, the smoke is going to cool while it moves away from the roaster.

Same concern for duct material and any inline air filter.

1 Like

I can’t make a recommendation based upon specs or measured exhaust temp, but I use a Cloudline in-line exhaust fan preceded by about 4 feet of 4" dia. drier exhaust hose and followed by another 5 feet to the wall vent. No issues so far.

One user here installed a filter in the exhaust line before the in-line fan… he said he had a problem with the in-line fan becoming packed with oil. The washable filter collects some or all of the oily exhaust. He used the same white ScotchBrite mesh that is used in the cooling tray.

Make sure you provide a means for make-up air to compensate for the air being pumped out of the roasting space to the outdoors. Without that make-up air the airflow won’t exhaust from the room and some or most will end up recirculating.

Bruce

ps- I can put my hand in the exhaust stream as it exits the Bullet without any uncomfortable temps, but then I use a pretty low pre-heat temp. Some folks here use very high pre-heat- I have no idea what they experience at the roaster exhaust… ??

I’m about to set up an exhaust similar to this to improve upon using the 3D printed adapter and flex hose. Can you tell me about that cow bell shaped piece? Looks like a good shape to capture all of the smoke.
thanks

marc

That looks like a rectangular-to-circular transition piece for heating/ventilation ducts. Something like this. (Amazon is prob not the place to look for it, but it was easy)

Bruce

1 Like

I put this on the Facebook page, but I realize some here don’t follow that. Here’s my setup. Standard 4 inch ducting with a S4. The Bullet sits on an epoxied bean lazy susan countertop for easy access to the back of the Bullet.

7 Likes