Fix for loose tryer pin

My Bullet arrived today!!! :smiley: :+1:

Unfortunately, the pin had completely fallen out of the tryer. It was just loose in the bag. It’s a loose slip fit in the hole, no way it’s staying in there…

Since the tryer is aluminum, this is a pretty easy fix. I used a gunsmithing trick called “staking”.

Essentially, you just take a sharp punch, smack it lightly with a hammer, and create a crater right next to the hole with the pin installed. This moves a small amount of metal, snugging the hole up so the pin won’t just fall out.

I staked it on both sides of the pin. It’s not going anywhere now! A couple photos:

Here’s a close-up of afterwards.

@jacob thought you guys should know about this. I read somewhere in the last few days about someone else’s pin falling out of the tryer and they lost it altogether. Seems like it was a new roaster as well, but I couldn’t find the post again.

HTH! :wink:

2 Likes

Same thing here! The pin fell out sometime between my first and second seasoning roasts. I haven’t been able to locate it and reached out to Sweet Maria’s since that’s who I bought the roaster from. They said they are looking to ship me a new pin but I’m concerned the same thing will happen. I will have to try what you did when it comes in. Thank you!

I wonder if this is a problem with the most recent batch? Mine is serial number 747x… Yours?

You might be onto something. Mine is 744X

@jacob FYI above!

Same defect 7431.

Yeah sadly we had a bad batch so we are now changing to a threaded pin.
Steffen does the opposite, he creates a mark in the pin by putting it between some hardened pliers, then hammers on the pliers to make a mark in the pin. After that he hammers in the pin.
But yeah, any way would work.

Is Aillio offering replacements? If so, is this something we could get replaced by the vendor we bought it from? For example I bought mine from Sweet Maria’s.

Cheers and thanks!

Yes, you can of course get a replacement if you are unable to fix it yourself.

Bummer to hear that. I thought about scoring the pin like Steffen for a cleaner finished look, but without knowing the hardness of the pin (although it’s stainless, so probably not terribly hard), I didn’t want to possibly wreck the teeth on my good, expensive Knipex pliers. :wink:

I knew the aluminum would move with very little persuasion! :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, don’t break your expensive tools. I think the pin is pretty hard.

Thanks @jacob for confirming. I’m waiting to hear back from Sweet Maria’s. They said they would ship a new pin.

1 Like

There was another thread about this same problem about the pin on the tryer and some there simply suggested super-glue. Wouldn’t that work?

Heat?

Yeah, definitely heat. The hot/cold cycling would break down the glue bond for sure.

Thanks for the tip! I just set mine up today and had the same problem. I am already sold on the value of the community here.

1 Like

My pin fell out and I have no idea where it went. So, I just use it without. Anyone else use it without. Can you get one somewhere?

I’m in the same boat. I can’t find the pin and reached out to Sweet Maria’s where I bought the roaster from. They are working on a solution I was told.

I’ve been still using my pin-less trayer but being more aware of its positioning.

Glue should work fine if you use the right glue.

Or if you’re paranoid: https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-extremeheat

2 Likes

FYI… I received an update from Sweet Maria’s they are waiting on more traders from Aillio and will be shipping me a replacement due to the bad batch. For the others affected by this I would contact the vendor you bought your bullet from to get yours replaced too.

I appreciate the quick response from Sweet Maria’s and Aillio regarding the trayer pin issue. :coffee: