Issue with preheating - USB Connectivity Issue

Here’s the problem I’m experiencing today:

• When I turn the roaster on and plug it into my laptop, the roaster reads as connected. I can see the drum temp and ibts temp in real time.

When I press the preheat function on the PRS, the “connected” icon shows as preheating, but all of the connectivity disappears and I’m not able to see any further real time updates, it just freezes.

The graph function appears, but no lines begin to be plotted on the graph.

Any advice?

Thanks
Ben

Update.

I have since switched to my other laptop. Problem is precisely the same on that laptop also.

I have also done a firmware update on the roaster to the Beta 606, which hasn’t helped.

Any advice?
Ben

1 Like

Hey @harmonycoffeeroaster ,

I see some errors for you in the logs. It looks like you are on some old versions of the software (Client v1.23.5). The current Client version is 1.38.0. Can you wait for the update notification to come up, restart, and let us know if this is still an issue?

Got the same issue but all my softwares are currently up to date. this is a huge bummer as I received some exciting samples today.

On the same page. When I hit preheat it looses connection then reconnects shortly after. This is super frustrating - Feel like every time theres an update it crashes the system

Hey

Yes, I’m still experiencing this issue even with the updated client and tried again also with a different laptop.

Any other recommendations you have would be amazing please, as I am keen to get this fixed asap.

Thanks again!

Ben

@harmonycoffeeroaster @rokkosteez
Can you both of you send me your logs via DM? Open RoasTime->Settings->Software->Export Logs

2 Likes

Hi, I was just about to create new post, but this one poped up! I’m having the same issue - sometimes when I try to start preheat using ‘play’ button in recipe view - USB connectivity is lost. I’m using 2019 Macbook Air, stock cable and USBC-USBA adapter/hub thingy.
I’ll send you the logs as well, looking forward to getting this fixed, since it’s blocker for my work.

Board undefined / Serial 8728 / Firmware 605

Error 6402: 10

Error 2304: 3116

Error 3

Error 7000: 8192

Error 3

Error 3

Error 3

Error 3

Error 3

Error 3

Error 65521: 65535

Error 3

Error 3

Hey @palarniaiskra.69Cx

I see from your logs that your versions were upgraded and you started using the latest version today (Jun 6th). I do not see this disconnection issue in the logs for today. (I see 2 disconnections after Cooling that look like legitimate disconnections from the USB)

Can you confirm if this happened while you were roasting today?

I’m having the same issue. Actually, I was roasting and then near the end of the roast the alarm on the roaster went off and wouldn’t stop until I unplugged the roaster. Everything was unresponsive. Now, I’m trying to roast again, and I’m getting the USB connectivity issue. All in the same session.

Now that I think about it. After the first roast issue and the restart, my RoastTime software updated, and that’s when the connectivity issue started.

I’m on a Mac running Ventura 13.1.

I have also restarted the bullet after upgrading. I’m on RoastTime 4.6.9.

Have you restarted the roaster and software after the update? Sometimes on update to 4.6.9 you will need to restart both to get the connection back.

I don’t know if this is helpful at all, but I was about to write in with a USB problem and it turned out it was a flaky micro USB cable. I think the software or operating system doesn’t always immediately register that the connection is bad.

The little springs on the bottom of the connector become less springy: File:MicroB USB Plug.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
This has happened with all of the micro USB cables that I own. The upcoming Bluetooth USB-C Wi-Fi Bullet will be a major improvement. :wink:

Yes, while trying to sort this out, I went into the cycle of restarting and reconnecting everything :smiley: I’ll take a closer look on the cable (as @itspaul suggests), however this issue is not happening on some older macbook(with normal USB-A ports) which we also use in our roastery (this one runs RoasTime V3).
This issue for me was also preceded by 0256 error code which didn’t occur on older computer.

Thanks for the details. Curious if the same issue happens on your older Mac with the new software @palarniaiskra.69Cx ? Also wondering if the OS is detecting the bullet when the software is not?

I am actually out for the rest of this week, but if we can’t get it sorted here, I would like to screenshare with you or @howard.ESqd early next week to get it figured out. Woild you be available to do that?

I would be happy to screentime, but I may be out of town next week. I was hoping to get a lot of roasting done this week since I may not be able to roast next week. I have restarted everything.

I will be driving most of today, but I’ll take a look at your logs tonight and see if I can glean anything and give you some workaround.

If you need to roast and it’s unworkable right now, you can try to revert to RT3 temporarily at roastime3.aillio.com

I got to thinking… I will bring a Mac home from work and try using that. If I put RT3 on it will that cause any issues with my roast history?

Thank you!

Didn’t think of that - will check! I’m not sure about screensharing (I don’t know of any way to reproduce this consistenly, also timezone differences), but I’ll try to record the screen next time.

Hey @howard.ESqd @palarniaiskra.69Cx . I am back from my vacation and wanted to follow up here. Were you able to do more tests? Do we need to setup a time to screenshare?

Hope you enjoyed your vacation :slight_smile:
I was running ‘One-time recipes’ turned ON previously, now I switched it to off, didn’t had to start preheating using ‘play’ button in RoasTime and there were no errors today. So I guess I’m waiting for hotter day and longer production cycle for this error to reappear.