New user looking for dark, roasty, non-acidic espresso for milk drinks

I’m looking for something like what this original poster was. Heck, I wonder if they found it. :slight_smile: I might describe what I want as not “new espresso.” I’m looking to take something like washed Columbian beans and produce something without acidity or anything fruity to use in milk drinks. Looking for toasty, brown sugar, full bodied.

I’ve only done a few roasts so far with the Bullet after hundreds of 200g roasts on a Gene Cafe, so I am very new and never had bean temps and such.

I looked on roast world and found the selection of recipes overwhelming and many of them show zero roasts with the profile. I do see some promising info on the Roast Rebels website that one of the responders to the above mentioned post suggested. Is that good info? I’m not afraid to experiment, but would love to stand on the shoulders of giants.

This is my best so far, but it was a bit baked tasting or flat. It didn’t have the “roasty” character and body I am searching for as my first target and my go to home espresso.

Tips welcome!

First advice would be to change the beans. What you’re describing is found very easily in Cuban coffee, be it Serrano or Turquino, even on lighter roasts. But, in this specific case, you are slow going into FC. The energy is gone long before. Here’s what I would do, which by no means is a correct procedure or something that is guaranteed to work. Lower PH to 235, don’t touch the drum and leave it on 9, start with P8 F2, push to F3 around 145-150°C, go P6 right before yellowing, so around 160-165°C, and drop to P5 around 185°C. Don’t fight the ROR curve, it doesn’t necessarily need to go down. You could raise the fan to F4 once the FC is rolling for the chaff and to avoid getting to SC too fast. Once the FC starts, RoasTime will show you a development percentage and Delta Temperature. You should be aiming for around 14-18°C Delta on a 30% development time, for this bean. If you see you’ve reached that too fast, adjust for the next roast. If you’re getting there too fast, start with P7, or leave the power and start with F3 or even F4 without touching the fan during the roast but concentrating on power. If you’re slow do the opposite. As I’ve said, this is just a shot in the dark so don’t think everything will turn out well even if it might. Never stick with what somebody tells and don’t get lost looking at other people’s roasts. You will never get results trying to replicate what someone else does. Also, don’t change a lot of parameters in the beginning. That’s why I told you to not touch the drum for the time being.

2 Likes

Much appreciated, braca19452f9m. And I do get what you are saying. I had that experience with my Gene Cafe, got something decent, and then went my own way with various experiments. Now, on to your suggestions…

Will try those beans as that will be something new and fun. It also makes total sense to remove the drum speed from the equation for at least a while. I get what you are saying here about dropping the power as the water in the beans drops and they heat more quickly too. Cool!

I did this roast just before you posted. It’s closer to what you suggest, if different.

This week’s roast and last week’s side-by-side:

1 Like

There’s a great recipe I’ve tried from the Mexican champion using Mexican beans, and well, I’ve loved it. But personally, I feel that my roasts with less than 500 grams in the Aillio aren’t good. It would be good to learn to roast less than this amount; I’m still experimenting. The recipe is called “Mexican Roasting Champion Uriel Oropeza Light Roast for Espresso/Electric Brew Recipe on Aillio.”

2 Likes

Thanks! I might check it out. I usually don’t like light roasts as much as I don’t go for the fruity and zesty notes in my espresso milk drinks. How would you describe this one?

Hi Dave,

You might want to buy a couple of pounds of an Espresso blend from one of the vendors. Then as you get more experience, develop your own blend.

When I Roast for milk drinks, I typically go into the second cracks -10 to 30 seconds - which is in the 420F to 435F range (IBTS)
The darker you roast, the more the “fruity and zesty” notes will get roasted out.

Happy Mug has a coulple of Espresso blends for $5.00 or under per pound. (I have no affiliation with Happy Mug, but do buy a fair amount of green beans from them) I’ve not been disappointed.

As always, these are my observations: YMMV :slight_smile:

1 Like