Pour over

What is every one using for pour over gear

I use the Clever Dripper - not a pour over and not a French Press but seems a bit of both :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mostly I roast for my espresso maker, but I do make sure I make at least one chemex brew out of each roast.

OMG! I used a woodneck (Hario) also known as a “nel” for the first time this morning. 28g Rwanda Yellow Honey at a #14 Baratza, 300g 200° water, 3 min. pour and it was heaven. Full bodied, sweet with just a bit of cherry finish. I also love the Clever Dripper and Hario V60 for singles and Chemex for multiple cups.

2 Likes

Thanks Blacklabs I haven’t seen that prior to you mentioning it, looks pretty cool. What are the things that you enjoy about it the most?

How do you feel that the coffee is when brewed in the different brewers. Do you see a noticeable difference

1 Like

I like the fact that the Hario has the reusable filter, how is that to manage and clean/store?

To state the obvious… way easier to clean than a French Press. I only brew for 1, so it fits my purpose and I don’t have to stand there to keep pouring water like you would if you’re doing a pour over. Once I figured out the measurements (i.e. weighing how much water I use) I just eye-ball it, set my 4 min timer and I then go fix my dog’s breakfast. :slight_smile:

Occasionally I’ll make an espresso in the afternoon and for that I use Rok’s manual espresso maker.. I have the first generation one. Works for my purpose and doesn’t take up a lot of space. The trick is finding the right grind from your bean grinder to use - so lots of experimenting on that until you find the right grind. There are other manufacturers who do similar manual espresso makers out there.

I totally agree with Blacklabs about the ease of the Clever Dripper and it makes a great cup. It has generally been my choice when I’m making only one cup. It makes a nice, clean cup. Except for cold brew equipment, I think I own or have owned at least one of every brewing method. :grimacing: I’m not a fan of French press coffee…too much sludge for my taste. I use a Technivorm when I have house guests for the volume and ease. For everyday, I love the moments of Zen while making a Chemex… we’re retired and I feed the dogs first so I can enjoy the entire coffee-making experience. Matching the bean with the grind and water temp is fun for me and it also makes a clean cup…but, it’s my opinion that the Clever Dripper is reliable richer (but only one cup at a time.) The V60 makes a cup similar to the Chemex. The Hario woodneck makes an entirely different cup. There are no fines (aka sludge), but there’s a sense of thickness…a rich body…that you can’t get with a paper filter. And it’s so appealing…like a small Chemex. As for maintenance, there is a lively online discussion of how to store the “sock” (flannel filter)…keep it in a cup of water in the fridge or allow it to dry. Frankly, I first used it yesterday so I can’t speak to this with experience. Currently, mine is in the freezer since I won’t be using it every day. In the end, if you’re not that person who embraces the ceremony of the pour over, it’s just one more fussy housework task. If that’s the case, the Clever Dripper is an excellent choice.

2 Likes

Decades using a #6 Melitta Filter into a carafe for 2 of us (28 oz water heated to 197°F, 40 gm ground a little finer than medium; yields about two 12 oz cups). Recently I tried a Clever Dripper while traveling and was very pleased. Pour over is a little too fussy for me first thing in the morning but I’ll concede the effort can be very rewarding!

Bruce

1 Like

I use a Clever Dripper as well. Occasionally I’ll use a V60, but the Clever Dripper is extremely easy to reproduce and about impossible to mess up. When I first started with pour overs I found them nearly impossible to not mess up, took about six months to really learn how to consistently make a good cup of coffee, and every now and then I still make a tiny mistake here or there. Clever just eliminates that.

There are subtle differences in flavor between Clever and pour overs, but nothing I would be concerned about. I actually think the Clever is slightly better tasting.

The Technivorm Moccamaster has a flow switch in the filter basket that allows you to control the steeping time, somewhat like the clever dripper:

I like to close the switch for the first minute or so until the basket becomes pretty full and all the grounds are uniformly wet. You can also rotate the basket in its holder during the brewing cycle to achieve the same effect as you would get with a circular pour-over technique, but arguably easier.

1 Like

I’m with Barbara on the pleasure of using the Chemex each morning…never thought of it as moments of Zen, but that’s a good description. Never saw the Hario woodneck before, but looks interesting. I was gifted a second Chemex and kettle for use when we have company.

I’ve used an AeroPress, mostly when traveling, and enjoyed the cup, just doesn’t make enough at a time.

Another vote for clever dripper. :slight_smile:

I don’t do pour over often but the Bonvita gooseneck kettle I use for tea, the basket from the Technivorm, and a Bodum metal filter works nicely for me.

1 Like

Mostly with the tricolate now, and V60.

I’ve had a Ninja Coffee Bar CM401 for a few years now. Best coffee machine I’ve ever had. The key is that it brews at a high temp(most fall short in this area).
It’s a bit pricey but well worth it.

I only do pour overs for guests. I don’t like paper filtration.

Here i found a review on some good coffee makers you can see. Hope it will help to choose the right one for you.

Mostly a melitta #2 and occasionally a v60
Whichever is clean at the moment. I don’t really taste any difference between them The V60 wins on appearance I suppose.