RoasTime 4 Open Beta and Testing

Additional information to help debug this would be super helpful.
Did you mark FC from the roaster or RT? Do you know if the initial markers were OK, but then later changed?
Your profile looks like it only saved some part of it. Was the USB connected since the beginning?

Everything was performed in RT. I’m not certain when the odd times occurred but I suspect it was immediate: I knew something was wrong because my DT percentage was way off—it was showing values like -80%.

Here’s how the session went: I fired up RT (Linux version) and did a firmware update to stable 605. That went fine. When prompted I unplugged the USB cable and the roaster’s power. I left RT running. I then powered up the roaster and reconnected it to the laptop. I believe I initiated preheat from RT.

2 Likes

I frequently use the recipes feature, and often the changes I make to a recipe aren’t actually improvements at all but a step in the wrong direction for a given roast. Would it be possible to include a “changes” log within recipes? Often, even while looking back on previous roast graphs, it can be difficult to discern the precise temperature you had programmed a power change when wanting to revert back to a previous version of a recipe, especially if changes are close together. Either that or a zoom feature so I can zoom in on my graphs to find the most precise temperature reading.

Or I could just write these down, or duplicate my roast and make alterations, but it would be a nice quality of life feature :slight_smile:

It’s a little worse than you think. If you make changes to a Recipe and save the changes, earlier roasts that used the earlier recipe parameters will identify the newly modified roast as the one you used.

There is no configuration mgmt in Recipes unless you take it on yourself using name-changes to keep track/ID each version. Trying to find your way thru roast profiles with unmanaged roast-naming is going to lead to some frustration. When it dawned on me what I was looking at I started cloning the recipe to be modified then changing the header to provide a different ID. It works but it’s a slippery slope and things get missed. Well… I miss stuff. And it’s labor intensive which means I screw it up on occasion.

I suppose it could be automated to add a tag with a new config ID but I imagine that will lead to a nightmare of its own. I keep telling myself ‘be careful what you wish for!’

Bruce

4 Likes

Yeah, I confirmed. It’s the new 606 Beta firmware with the fan going to keep the BT down. Switched back to 605, and no issues.

When trying out RT4 make sure to let it update after installation. You will see some notifications about updates are ready to install. It is important to then restart the app.
New features coming out this week. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

Thank you for RoasTime4
sorry guys i have to write this in chinese because my english is not that good, so i can explain this propperly

軟體內的譯文仍有部份是空白,但相信在正式版推出前應會得到完善。

我的問題為,在編輯食譜時,Temperature steps內是以溫度由低到高排序,在Time steps內是以時間排序。那麼,能否在Temperature steps內加入自定(時間)的排序嗎?例如:在5:30時,我期望溫度能達到160度,如果低於158度那麼提高power,如果高於162度就降低power,將此時間點的溫度限制在160±2度內,依Temperature steps的溫度排序,在編輯時就容易看到眼花撩亂,如果能自定依時間排序,編輯食譜時就會比較直觀,5:30時間點的2個步驟,它們就在上下兩列,一目瞭然。

Roastime 一直很好,且能持續進化更新,感謝你們的努力。讚!

1 Like

Google-translated Marcelos post:

There are still some blank translations in the software, but I believe it will be perfected before the official version is released.

My problem is that when editing a recipe, the Temperature steps are sorted by temperature from low to high, and the Time steps are sorted by time. So, can you add a custom (time) sort in Temperature steps? For example: at 5:30, I expect the temperature to reach 160 degrees, if it is lower than 158 degrees, then increase the power, if it is higher than 162 degrees, then reduce the power, and limit the temperature at this time point to 160±2 degrees, according to Temperature The temperature sorting of steps makes it easy to see dazzling when editing. If you can customize the sorting by time, it will be more intuitive when editing recipes. The two steps at the time point of 5:30 are in the upper and lower columns, which is clear at a glance.

Roastime has been very good and can continue to evolve and update, thank you for your efforts. awesome!

3 Likes

Thank you @jacob & team - the current roast name on the top left is immensely useful and much appreciated. Also the paste last roast button along with the confirmation/information box works flawlessly now.

Much appreciated!!!

1 Like

Thank you so mush

1 Like

Noticed my first weird issue in RT 4. I don’t use a lot of the features except roasting, so I’m probably dodging some haha.

Scenario. Win10 Laptop turned on from standby, RT4 still running from last session (usually no issues), Roaster plugged into laptop, then turned on and set to preheat.

When it was ready to charge, I got my beans and put them in, then started the roast (not looking at RT4 until about 5min into the roast. ~5min in, look at RT4, notice it’s frozen from a prior roast (shows connected but not showing the roast)Restarted RT4, and the Elapsed time was correct showing ~14min then as I clicked the F1 to annotate FC, FCE, and SC all of those datapoints were showing up as if the roast didn’t start until after I restarted the roast. I.e. FC hit at ~10min elapsed, but the market shows up at the ~5min mark. So it’s marking FC at the time the program’s been open, not the actual elapsed roast time.

1 Like

Thanks for the report, @prehistoricperk. We’re aware of this issue and are tracking it internally. I’ll write back here when we’re gotten it fixed.

1 Like

In the meantime I’ll remember to close out after every session. :smiley:

I couldn’t find “tools” or “settings” in RT4 to update the firmware or to adjust settings. Is it normal or did anyone have the same issue? I’m running macOS Monterey.

1 Like

Click on your avatar in the top right corner, there you will find the settings

Got it! Thanks Jacob!

1 Like

OK. So longtime Bullet owner. Been running 3.4.1 with Firmware 602 for six months or more. No real issues. Roasting results are good.
I just updated my Windows 10 laptop to RT 4. Looks ok, it appears to connect to my Bullet. It gives me correct INFO details of my Bullet (V 1.5), and I can use it to start PH, and move through to Cooling and Shutdown.
CURRENT VERSIONS
FE: 1.23.4
BE: 1.13.3
Comms: v1.5.0
However, when I go into Settings, and choose Check FIrmware, it shows me the newest 606…but gives no method to actually download and update.
I thought maybe if I just left it on that settings screen showing 606 it might eventually update the firmware. But no, nothing happens (at least after an hour or so).
Am I missing something? In 3.4.1 it was easy to download new firmware.

1 Like

Hi. Can you make something like preblend roasting?. so i can controll green beans for the blends.

3 Likes

Not sure what you want to do but yes, you can blend greens then roast. The issue with pre-blending is that not all different varietal greens used in a blend have the same roast time & temp requirements, so the results will be as uneven as the bean varieties dictate. If they appear too different (watch for uneven color for different-sized bean varieties), you may have to do a post-blend. But in terms of the roasting process it’s just another roast. I’ve roasted Sweet Maria’s Liquid Amber and Espresso blends many times without issue but there is some uneveness in color if the blend contains robusta.

Bruce

5 Likes

I just updated to RT4 and had a problem that I didn’t see in this thread so thought I would report. I have a pretty early V2 machine (s/n 22xx) and connect using a Windows 10 laptop.

When I updated to RT4 I had already updated my roaster to fw 606 beta and had used that with no problems with RT3. After I updated to RT4.1.2, and then ran the software updates after first launch, I had the following showing in Settings:
FE: 1.23.4
BE: 1.13.3
Comms: v1.5.0

The issue I found was that RT4 was not logging any data from my roasts. I could control the roaster using RT4 (setting preheat temp, switching P-R-C) but nothing showed on the graph and RT4 did not display any temperatures or drum, fan, power during my roast. I tried multiple times to reboot the roaster, reboot my Windows machine, plug and unplug USB, force update the components in RT4 Settings, with no change.

However, downgrading from fw 606 back to fw 605 fixed the problem. After going back to 605 I was able to see the roast progress in RT4 and save my roasts. Thought I would report this here in case anyone else has this problem.

p.s. I also am experiencing the bug where RT has the wrong “elapsed time” logged when I mark Yellow, FC, etc. similar to what @prehistoricperk reported above.

Happy New Year!

2 Likes