RoasTime 4 Open Beta and Testing

… as long as you do not have to have the bean in stock in your “inventory” for it to be useable… in other words, if all beans are available unless you decide manually to archive them… or at least have the option to not have to keep an inventory of beans to be able to choose them.

EDIT - yesss, I see that I can add any bean now, whether in stock or not… thanks!!

1 Like

A very simple request for the new version - can the current roast name be displayed somewhere while the roast is on? Keeping track of the roast number while doing multiple b2b roasts does get confusing for some of us at times. I do see quite a bit of empty space at the bottom of the left panel.

Meanwhile, if I recollect, in the earlier version of RoastTime, in b2b roasts, the bean from the first roast would come automatically in the bean field in subsequent roasts. In the latest update, that functionality has been removed. It would be good to have it back.

Lastly, the can the ‘copy last roast’ be changed to ‘paste’ last roast - the actual one and not the details from the last batch? It would help in b2b roasts instead of having to enter all the fields again.

4 Likes

We are not totally sure about what you mean by

“lastly, the can the ‘copy last roast’ be changed to ‘paste’ last roast - the actual one and not the details from the last batch? It would help in b2b roasts instead of having to enter all the fields again.”

But what is missing now is a button to copy data from a previous roast, when you are editing the current roast while roasting…is this makes sense. We will add that.

2 Likes

Yes - there currently is a button to copy last roast. Thought paste last roast would be more appropriate. Meanwhile, the data that gets pasted currently is not the actual ‘last’ roast but from the last batch done. Would be good to have that changed.

1 Like

It should be from the last roast. Can you please elaborate? What do you click, and what do you expect to happen vs, what actually happens?
Screen shots pls :slight_smile:

When I start a new roast, the button works perfectly and the fields get filled up with values from the last batch. However, when I move to my next b2b roast, on pressing the same button, the values are not from the roast immediately prior to the current one, but the earlier values. It does not update with every roast.

Will try and capture some screenshots when I roast in the evening today.

3 Likes

Did five b2b roasts a while ago…

The first time I did a copy last roast (on my 2nd roast) - the fields got populated correctly…

I then changed the beans for my subsequent three roasts. I manually entered the details for the new beans for my third roast. When I tried copying the last roast details on my 4th and 5th roasts, the details that got pasted were from my second roast.

2 Likes

@jacob
Just installed RT4, and I love it. Looks great, and a few of the future additions you’ve mentioned sound great.

However I’m running into one major issue. I set my preheat temp in the software and it works great, but when it reaches temp the roaster goes to charge, and then immediately goes to roaster started. I’m curious if this is due to the new Beta 606 FW that has the fan running at F1. I haven’t tried switching back to Stable 605 yet, but I’ll report back when I test that.

I think your questions belongs in a differen thread? This tread is about RT4, but you are showing an issue with RT3.
If you can try the new RT4 and then report if you have the issue there as well, that would be great.

1 Like

Can you try this without connecting RT. I think it is a roaster hardware issues, not a RT issue.

Will do…

1 Like

Installed RT 4 and roasted another five b2b roasts. Took a little bit of getting used to the new layout - especially the juxtaposition of the BT & IBTS temps. Overall, runs much smoother without any lag. Missed a few things -

1. Current roast name - not available in RT3, would be a great addition to 4.
  2. Overlay during Playback mode. Since the triggers appear to be time based, for those who go by temperature, without the overlay, it was difficult to figure our if the current roast was slightly behind or ahead. If it is ahead then it is not much of an issue since we can, and do, make the required changes to P/D or F as and when required, however, if it is lagging behind, then the changes triggered without the temperature being reached. I, personally, found the overlay very informative in the older version. On a positive note, playback went through flawlessly, including the initial change in fan speed immediately on dropping the beans.

Anyway, great job development team and thank you Aillio and the brothers for constantly working on making RoastTime better and more feature rich.

4 Likes

Today roast with V4 was odd. The recorded times are way off. Yellow was at 3:33 but was recorded as 7:33. The roast ended at 10:31 but 1C is recorded as happening at 16:24.

Additional information to help debug this would be super helpful.
Did you mark FC from the roaster or RT? Do you know if the initial markers were OK, but then later changed?
Your profile looks like it only saved some part of it. Was the USB connected since the beginning?

Everything was performed in RT. I’m not certain when the odd times occurred but I suspect it was immediate: I knew something was wrong because my DT percentage was way off—it was showing values like -80%.

Here’s how the session went: I fired up RT (Linux version) and did a firmware update to stable 605. That went fine. When prompted I unplugged the USB cable and the roaster’s power. I left RT running. I then powered up the roaster and reconnected it to the laptop. I believe I initiated preheat from RT.

2 Likes

I frequently use the recipes feature, and often the changes I make to a recipe aren’t actually improvements at all but a step in the wrong direction for a given roast. Would it be possible to include a “changes” log within recipes? Often, even while looking back on previous roast graphs, it can be difficult to discern the precise temperature you had programmed a power change when wanting to revert back to a previous version of a recipe, especially if changes are close together. Either that or a zoom feature so I can zoom in on my graphs to find the most precise temperature reading.

Or I could just write these down, or duplicate my roast and make alterations, but it would be a nice quality of life feature :slight_smile:

It’s a little worse than you think. If you make changes to a Recipe and save the changes, earlier roasts that used the earlier recipe parameters will identify the newly modified roast as the one you used.

There is no configuration mgmt in Recipes unless you take it on yourself using name-changes to keep track/ID each version. Trying to find your way thru roast profiles with unmanaged roast-naming is going to lead to some frustration. When it dawned on me what I was looking at I started cloning the recipe to be modified then changing the header to provide a different ID. It works but it’s a slippery slope and things get missed. Well… I miss stuff. And it’s labor intensive which means I screw it up on occasion.

I suppose it could be automated to add a tag with a new config ID but I imagine that will lead to a nightmare of its own. I keep telling myself ‘be careful what you wish for!’

Bruce

4 Likes

Yeah, I confirmed. It’s the new 606 Beta firmware with the fan going to keep the BT down. Switched back to 605, and no issues.

When trying out RT4 make sure to let it update after installation. You will see some notifications about updates are ready to install. It is important to then restart the app.
New features coming out this week. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

Thank you for RoasTime4
sorry guys i have to write this in chinese because my english is not that good, so i can explain this propperly

軟體內的譯文仍有部份是空白,但相信在正式版推出前應會得到完善。

我的問題為,在編輯食譜時,Temperature steps內是以溫度由低到高排序,在Time steps內是以時間排序。那麼,能否在Temperature steps內加入自定(時間)的排序嗎?例如:在5:30時,我期望溫度能達到160度,如果低於158度那麼提高power,如果高於162度就降低power,將此時間點的溫度限制在160±2度內,依Temperature steps的溫度排序,在編輯時就容易看到眼花撩亂,如果能自定依時間排序,編輯食譜時就會比較直觀,5:30時間點的2個步驟,它們就在上下兩列,一目瞭然。

Roastime 一直很好,且能持續進化更新,感謝你們的努力。讚!

1 Like