RoasTime 4 Open Beta and Testing

Were you running MacOS both times you tried to update the firmware?

1 Like

Thanks for all that feedback! We will get it triaged.

1 Like

Thanks @greg - we have a ticket this sprint to look into your issue.

yes, i was running the same setup, not sure why the first time failed, but it worked the second time. I’m just surprised Mojave works with it so far. About to run a few test batches.

Vertical

Does anyone else roast in portrait/vertical mode on your monitor?

When working in vertical, i like that the roast time is condensed and it shows the curve variations better.

But the issue is that if i change more than 1 P or F setting too quickly, i’ll not be able to see what that setting was any longer. not a big deal, and i doubt many roast in vertical screen orientation. thx

RT4 issue found:

Also, i am noticing weird records in the roaster power settings status bars:

I did not use those power settings for either roast, and the active roast is missing the drum settings

(Mac OS Mojave, bullet fw 605 stable)

TEST RUN:

ran about 5 batches and all went mostly smooth, except for that issue listed in the above post.

IBTS temps for FC changed by an increase of 5 degrees F. But that may be related to the Roaster firmware upgrade. m

Additional follow up Suggestions for RT4:

Is it possible to have a cooling try on/off switch? if doing back to back and a preheat is taking long, the cooking tray ends up requiring that 8 button presses to off. not a big deal, LOW priority compared to other stuff. but if it works out.

I may have mentioned this, but i’ll reiterate: being able to overlay at least two ghost curves in RT4, for quicker analysis when dialing in batches. Helps to see what has been done already, and how to differ from the standard profile, all in one graph.

I suggest 2 features that I think may be useful,

1- An adjustable preheat temp during preheating.

2- Instead of calibrating preheat temp to achieve the charge temp, why can’t just choose the charge temp, and the roaster will adjust the power, maintain the charge temp, and once the bullet is ready, the pop-up charge message will notify the user??

1 Like
  1. This would require a new firmware as changing the PH temp during preheating messes with the algorithm. Not many people have requested this so right now not something we are working on.
  2. This is what it is doing. The charge temp is defined as the IBTS drum temperature. This is held steady once the temp is reached. The bean probe is not used, as it is very unreliable for preheating.
1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to give us your inputs. I have a few comments/questions:
D1 - FYI you can also click CTRL+E to edit current batch
D2 - can you elaborate on this please? Overall colors? Graphs? From your description I can’t tell which we should focus on. Which theme?
D3 - which pop-up are you specifically thinking about? There are multiple in the app. A screen shot would be helpful.
D4- Which settings do you so often change that this is an issue? Perhaps we need a dedicated shortcut then.
S2- Right now it is already listed in the info panel and on the post-roast page. I am not really sure where you want to display this. Please elaborate.

Thanks

i’ll make a follow up reply on this. I find some visibility issues that effect speed and efficiency of work.

In testing RT4, the pop ups seem to go away automatically. In RT3 the pop ups would stay there till i “X” them out. Let’s say with RT4 this is now tolerable. i’ll make a follow up reply if anything. However, i did notice a slight glitch in RT4 for something else, and i’ll attach a photo in this reply. See below, the “active roast” pop up hovers over the barely visible IBTS temp

I don’t have internet where i roast and cup, so i do a lot of analysis with ROASTIME. I like to like at roast curves stretched out and compressed, so i often have to change the chart graph values and time/temp scales. I also alternate IBTS settings, or decide i want the prediction on or off. and any multiple reasons. but i use the settings a lot

The actual charge temp is not recorded and display during the roast.

Let’s say, i leave the bean funnel in too long, and the airflow is obstructed, so the drum begins to heat up, and i charge 5 degrees higher, but didn’t realize it. If there was a record and constant display of what the actual temp was at charge, that would be very useful. especially when deciding to charge before hitting the set target charge temp.

Color and visibility.

The problem:
I notice the default colors in the “Aillio” theme occasionally create visibility issues on cheap LCD monitors. “Dark” theme is slightly better, and “Light” them is mostly good.

The reason:
Colors that are similar in luminance(brightness), regardless of hue or saturation will exhibit visibility challenges.

Solution:
Use colors that contrast in luminance and not just hue.

Examples:

So, finding the right combo of colors for speed of recognition is important in something like manual roasting.

here are a few test samples of color combinations and you can tell at a glance which combinations are easier to read, and most of the time it is the combinations that have enough contrast in luminance values, regardless of color are the ones that are faster to read.

there can also be sucha thing as too much contrast, for example, white on black is easy to see, but not quite as easy to read and causes eye strain. Low contrast is very difficult to read quickly. But there is a medium level where things become clear and fast, with less eye strain. see below

Dear Jacob,

For #2 feedback, kindly refer to the screenshot taken from Aillio website :

And here the link for the website : https://aillio.dk/your-first-roast-step-by-step/

And I quote from the very same website under Bean Temp Preheat “ The Bullet R1 uses this reading to help determine when the Bullet’s temperature has stabilized at the correct preheat temperature.”

A

Thanks for this we will have a look at it. For the graph while using phases, please set the alpha (opacity) to a lower number. Here is an example of 0.2.

Hi again.
It uses the ROR for preheat calculations, so the ROR on the bean probe has to “settle down” before it goes to charge. This tells us that the whole system is not heating up much more. So yes it uses the bean probe but not the absolute values, only the derivative.

I’m mainly talking about defaults.

And it varies by the monitor, both in the colors the monitor can display and the size of the monitor. Sometimes a smaller monitor is better to work with, but then legibility becomes an issue with the default colors and font sizes

We can do custom settings, but i prefer to use defaults as much as possible. Any time a machine has to go through a firmware reset, or if one operator starts making custom settings, it all gets out of whack, and when running a small business, we don’t have much time, so every little bit helps. Everything adds up. Every mouse click, every hesitation, every work around, every time one has to upload or download , and so on. the less fiddling and tweaking and the more streamline the better.

Also sharing between others in the community, if looking on a phone and trying to see some of the numbers and lines it gets lost on a small screen. I initially wanted to roast with a 7” screen, but it really becomes visually difficult, and had to move to a bigger monitor, which takes up more space, uses more electricity, and is less mobile. one of the unique features of the Bullet, is that it is capable of being mobile while still doing 1Kg on 120v, but if we have to haul a desktop monitor around, it hampers that unique ability of the Aillio roaster.

unless this is for HOME roasters only, then disregard anything i am saying. but for work, this size of roaster is so small, it already causes us to have to roast for many more hours than a production roaster, so time is a premium. and anything that helps prevent mistakes.

the update on time/temp for notating FC and Yellowing awesome to see.

one question, is it possible to have the ghost markings slightly lighter than the black? just when they all get close together, can be a little confusing at first. as seen in the image:

But otherwise, so great to see these improvements.

1 Like

I have to say something about this… the “laptop” I dedicated to roasting is a very old repurposed MSFT Surface Pro 2nd gen (running Win 10) and the screen isn’t desktop size and it is sufficient to run RT and see the graphs. The screen size is just 10.5" diagonally. FWIW - I have to wear progressives since I’m over that certain age :laughing:

Additionally for me picking the “default” light theme works better than the default “default” purple theme - give it a try.

They have implemented an adjustable preheat temperature for B2B roasts. Don’t know if it comes during the initial roast.

ISSUE FOUND:

A:
No longer able to use cursor keys to move through past roasts in the “Roast History”. Have to use a mouse to click the “< >” arrows instead.

Also, did it flip the direction of navigation? I seem to recall in RT3 Left was newer, and in RT4 Right appears to be newer?

B:
Comments on allows 1 comment. if i try to add an additional comment it just replaces the previous one at the new time.

Follow up about pop-ups:
So i realized i may have not responded with a picture about pop up messages. i’ve noticed two improvements in RT4, 1. the roast name is further left, so the pop up doesn’t overlay that, however, the pop up does over lay the roast history navigation arrows “< >”, and because i can no longer use the cursor keys, this is actually still annoying. 2. the pop up auto closes after a few seconds. This is an improvement over RT3, but is still annoying, because it is just telling me that “overlay has begun” and i’m not sure that is that important.

here is the pop up:

2 Likes

Hey @jimmybulletroaster,

Can you let me know if this was seen during a roast? I tried using overlay and the annotations are grayed out as in your original request.

Derrick