RoasTime 4 Open Beta and Testing

I’ll see if there have been any version updates and try again.

But i recall that the screen shot was during a roast.

First time trying the V4. did 4 roasts today.

Issues found:

1. Name of recipe in use is not displayed during roasting. Screenshot below:

2, The initial settings of the recipe Drum/Fan/Power are not working in recipe mode. Had to setup manually. All subsequent settings work perfectly.

System is LUbuntu.

Philippe.

I’ll leave something for Matt to make sure he doesn’t miss this.

Bruce

Hi @pa_lip,

Does the recipe already have a name? If it does have a name, can you please share the recipe id or URL (from Roast World)?

Derrick

1 Like

What is the latests version of the Beta RT4? Does it automatically update when connected to the web? thx

Issue Found:

Roast data not recorded.

Ran a batch a few moments ago, and the roast did not record.

FW: 605 stable
Software: RoasTime4

The roast went along pretty normal, curve and temps tracked, P, D, and F values tracked, but after the roast finished, there was no recorded roast in the roast history

Hey @jimmybulletroaster . Can you check if the roasting file is in the Application Support/../roasts directory? I assume you are strictly roasting offline because I don’t see any data since Nov. Also, dumb question, but the roast was longer than the minimum 6 minutes, right?

Yes, roast was long enough to register as a roast.

The second test has uploaded and recorded after i was prompted to restart RoasTime4 for an update.

/Roasts directory does not contain a file from the time i roasted that batch that disappeared.

So, it may be a false alarm.

Is there a way to check for software updates manually? As i only see the option for the roaster firmware update to be checked manually

Although, after the RT4 software update, my roast theme is not importing properly.

Roasting went fairly smoothly.

Observations:

A. Roaster had an error mid roast, while I believe i was at P8. I’ll have to look up the error code and update this post. I shut off the heat, and the roast began to cool mid roast. Only other times i experienced this was in the hot Summer months.

B. Importing a saved theme gave some weird color schemes. See attached image of the off white on white scheme.

C. I have a few untitled roasts in RoasTime that do not upload to Roast.world. Not sure how or why.

D. The overlay time markers are still black, and not greyed, so when the overlay and the current roast are on track ,the two black time markers are difficult to distinguish or read at times.

E. There is no simple way to shut off the cooling tray fan that i have found when doing Back to back roasting. Also if the cooling try accidentally gets turned off there is not elegant way to turn it back on quickly. I suppose this is more of a feature request, but i also feel i haven’t done enough sleuthing around yet, but is there a button to turn the cooling try on/off? Is it possible to add this to RT4?

Hi Derrick, yes, the recipe has a name. Here it is. I realize I should have started another topic. Sorry about that.

We have a fix for that which should come out in an update tomorrow.

1 Like

Once you turn off the cooling tray fan you have to go back to cooling mode for it to activate again.

That’s what i was thinking. there have been times when i was doing back to back, and if anything goes awry, it is awkward. yet, if there were a switch, we could fix that. Also, I find in Back to back i have to hit the button 8 times to turn off the cooling tray fan, when we all know that we pretty much use it fully on or fully off.

but since we’re talking software buttons, i’m curious if there will ever be the option to hit the power setting directly to the P level we want, or if we’ll always have to walk it down? There are theories that walking it down is preferred, but i wouldn’t mind minimizing clicks and taking a KISS approach. Especially if we can tune or calibrate our own P settings. I often wish there were some “.5” steps, but that wouldn’t be as elegant and consumer friendly design.

I’d love a cooling fan button on the screen away from the PRS button. The current colon fan controls is definitely not for my left hand brain.

1 Like

Do I need to update to the beta 606 firmware before using roastiime 4? macOS 12.6.2

Cheers,
Marshall

Had a roast where the end temp was recorded lower than the actual end temp.

RT4 on Mac Mojave.

Same here. Why do I get this sudden drop in temperature. Feels like there is a lag, because I always wait a few seconds after finishing my roast for the drum to slow down before opening the door.

1 Like

interesting, mine actually recorded the curve correctly, but it notes the “end temp” as a few degrees lower.

It’s timing between hitting the PRS to go to COOL mode and when you open the eject door. I avoid that little blip (I used to get it too) by hitting PRS and hesitating about a second before for ejecting the beans, I’ll speculate you opened the eject door a fraction of a second too early for RT to record the end-of-roast event before beans started dropping out.

Bruce

2 Likes

So I’ve been finding an interesting behaviour - sometimes when I try to close a different app, RoasTime asks me if I want to close it, and the app I’m trying to close won’t close.

I’m not sure if it’s because the RoasTime app platform is similar to the other apps that I’m using (for example I think both VS Code and Discord are Electron apps - and it’s happened with them) but is there any way for me to find/pass on a log for this?

EDIT: extra info, once I hit ‘no’ for closing RoasTime, if I click away to another app (for example, to actually close it) RoasTime then hangs and I need to force quit it. I have the error log from this hang if someone wants it.

1 Like