RoasTime 4 Open Beta and Testing

Has the iROR been removed during preheat? It appeared while roasting two day ago. Yesterday it did not. Cut short the preheat, restarted RoastTime thinking it had disappeared (something I had read for another user) and then thought that it had been removed in the last update.

Another thing - the milestones during roasting have a mouseover event. Can the colour of the button be changed once clicked? I do know that the Undo options appears on click, but having the button colour change would be a good visual cue. Just a thought.

i experienced the iRoR disappearing as well.

1 Like

Hey, we did remove IROR during preheat. This was calculated in the software and is not sent from the bullet during preheat.

1 Like

Could you take a video of this behavior? I can’t think of any reason off the top of my head why that would be happening (I also use other Electron based apps and do not experience this).

EDIT: all good this time around. iRoR curve in place.

Original:
For me, it was during the roast that i saw there was no iRoR line, so i went into settings (that whole drop down menu thing during a roast situation) and i could see that the iRoR line was selected, just not visible during the roast.

Will try again. Has not been an issue since i went to a new theme. Might have been a theme import issue?

I’m not sure if i mentioned this, or if it has been reported before, so my apologies if it has. But RT4 doesn’t show a changelog when it’s updated, I just have RT3 changes, so no telling what’s been changed with the updates, I’m thinking this may just be due to BETA. Thanks.

Bit hard to video because it happens in the background, but here’s a whole screen grab uploaded to a folder on my dropbox, along with a file with an error report: Dropbox - RoastimeIssue - Simplify your life

What happens: before the ‘close’ dialogue on Roastime pops up, I’ve used CMD+Q to try closing Discord in the foreground. As you will see, I can’t bring roastime to the foreground unless I specifically click on the title bar of the app. I dismiss the dialogue in Roastime and try a second time, which has the same behaviour.

Then I bring Chrome to the foreground and try to quit Chrome, but nothing happens. I toggle to roastime and once roastime is in the foreground a delayed ‘close’ dialogue appears. I try to click no, but it doesn’t work, and I have to force-quit Roastime.

Having forced it to quit, I’ve saved the error report that wants to send to apple, and that’s in the same folder as the screen capture.

1 Like

Hey @readeral,

Thank you so much for the video! This will definitely help to re-create and get this fixed. I filed an internal issue to track this and will update on here when it’s fixed.

Best,
Derrick

Hello again,

I updated RT4 on 3 February (Windows 10) and roasted an 800g batch. Before starting Preheat, I selected a previous roast for “Playback” which in RT3 meant that it automatically made the same changes to Power/Fan/Drum as the playback roast for the new roast, and the roast screen UI showed the playback steps in bars beneath the real-time bars on the graph.

This time, although RT4 said that it was in “playback mode” and showed the playback “stop” icon on the roast screen, it did not show the playback steps nor did it actually do any steps. I had to run the batch manually as if there were no playback going on at all.

Is this a bug or did the “playback” mode change? Thank you,

1 Like

We tried it at the office and it worked fine.
Can you replicate it if you just try a dry run without beans?
If so, please write down your exact steps.

Jacob

@jacob : yes, I will and I will see if it happens again. Since my post I have had to disassemble my workspace so it may be a few days before I can roast again, but I will report back.

@jacob turns out I had a chance to roast today. The same symptoms happened with regard to failed playback. I took a quick video of the steps I used to start playback, and then also what happened on-screen when I dropped the beans and started roast.

Here’s the video link: RoastTime 4 Playback bug - YouTube

Hope it is helpful. If you see me doing something incorrect, please let me know!

I took a look at your video but I am not completely sure which profile you are playing back. Is it this one?

If that is the case then then there are no changes until about 2:08 when the power is set to P8.

P9, D7 and F2 seems to be set correctly, but the video stops before it is supposed to make some changes.

I am not sure what you expected it to do in the video, or if you are using another profile.
The steps you are doing are correct.

@jacob Here is what I expected it to do in the video (based on how RoastTime 3’s interface worked):

(1) I expected the graph to have two sets of horizontal bars at the bottom showing the steps of (a) the profile being played back; and (b) the currently running roast. As you can see from my video, there was only (b), the current profile and no second set showing the steps of the playback profile;

(2) Likewise, I expected there to be a “shadow” set of lines showing RoR and temperatures from the playback profile overlayed on the graph along with the currently running roast, so that I can visually compare how the current roast is looking relative to the previous roast being played back. As you can see in the video, there is no such overlay shown on the graph;

(3) Finally, I expected that the roast levels would change through the roast “automatically” to match the steps of the profile that was being played back. As I mentioned in my original post, no changes happened. You are correct that the video ends before any steps would take place, but I can confirm that the playback triggered no changes, I had to do them all manually.

This is a big change for me from RoastTime 3, where I could set a playback and it would run the roast for me based on the roast that was being played back, and could visually compare how the two graphs looked (past roast and current roast). Based on my last two roasts, if I anm doing the correct steps, then either the automation and the visual functionality has been removed in RT4, or there is a bug in my setup. Can you tell me which?

I hope that I am writing clearly enough to explain my problem. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

/Greg

@jacob: follow up, this YouTube video shows the RT 3 playback interface I was talking about in my last post, at about 5:45 into the video: Playback Roast Profiles on Aillio Bullet - Tips and Problems - YouTube

Note the two sets of horizontal lines and the overlaid graph while in the playback mode. That’s what I was referring to in (1) and (2) of my last post.

/Greg

We tested payback after your original post and it worked for us. We will test it some more.

You have to enable overlay by yourself, this is not done automatically in RT4. We are working on a pop up message box to ask if you want to overlay the same profile.

2 Likes

Can bean ROR be added to the roasting screen like it is in the current software?

@jacob thanks for the reply and sorry for my delayed response. I haven’t been able to roast again until today but you are correct - once i selected “overlay” and then “playback” of the same earlier roast, I was able to see on the roasting screen what was previously on the Playback mode of RT3. I agree with you that there should be a pop-up or other preference option to include the overlay as part of the playback as before.

Thank you for the guidance!

2 Likes

I am having an issue with Roast Time 4 and recipes: when my roast is complete, Roast Time 4 clears the current recipe and I have to manually re-add it before the next roast. Very frustrating with back-to-back large roasting sessions.

I ran into that at first, but then I found that there are 2 options that you can select with the current version of RoasTime 4.3.2

After running a Recipe:

The top option only selects the preheat and doesn’t load the Recipe.

The bottom option loads and repeats the last recipe.

I am on RoasTime version 4.3.2

2 Likes