Share your setup!

Hi Jeff, I wonder if you could tell me where you bought the hood above the exhaust vent. I’ve been scouring the internet and can’t find a nice looking black one like you have.

Thanks in advance!
Elie

2 Likes

A corner of the laundry room is now the “Roastery”.
Everyone is happy, no smoke or smell, just great coffee.
Gil

1 Like

Gil,

That hood is a thing of beauty.

Are you doing anything to capture and filter the smoke and particulates before it is extracted by the fan in the hood??

I ended up ruining a hood and having to replace it because of the gunk build up in the fan.

Even with a MERV 8 filter, gunk was getting through:

I may try a MERV 11 or 13 filter. Or I may redo the whole setup using an in-line exhaust duct fan and filter.

Bill

1 Like

Hi Bill-

I’ve used an inline fan for several years. Had to replace it a few weeks ago when it died. It was gummed up with roasting snot. I would suggest if you do change to an inline fan (in fact I would recommend it!) that you install a filter in front of it as you did for you range hood. The issue is the same for a range hood or an inline fan: the Bullet exhaust is loaded with stuff that kills fans. And ducting. And of course filters. And if you order a Cloudline inline fan they include a nice manual on moving air in your special place for growing whatever.

Bruce

Bruce,

Yeah, I’ve got most of the components in my cart on Amazon. Another $500.00 getting ready to be spent on the hobby/rabbit hole. A song comes to mind: “There’s a hole in daddy’s roaster where all the money goes” most of y’'all are probably too young to remember that song (Sam Stone) by John Prine 1970

Good advice, a filter in the hood is step one. Monitoring closely.
Gil

1 Like

What are the options for installing a filter in front of the inline fan? I’m currently using those Honeywell carbon pre filters which only last about 6 roasts before they look clogged up. Would like a more cost effective and less wasteful solution.

There is a box filter that you can get from Amazon. It comes with 4 or 6 inch ports which would match the duct going to the fan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0921N33Y7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5&th=1
They use standard filters up to MERV13 but they are big and have to be mounted somewhere.

A six pack of MERV12 filters is ~$46.00. I am not sure how long they will last. If you do a lot of dark roasts, you will have to replace the filter more often.

There are pictures of them in different threads:

I have been using furnace filters but they really aren’t keeping up when I roast darker.

I am in the process of updating to an in-line fan and filter setup. I just want it to look clean and organized.

Hello Everyone! I’m a 70 year old, new roaster. I was a home brewer for 12 years and my liver can’t take it anymore. So, I took up coffee roasting. I bought a bullet with my son-in-law who is stationed in Germany for one more year. He is a seasoned roaster, me not at all. I’m having the most fun getting to know my roaster and trying my own beans. So here is my setup. Please ignore the pesky tools and water heater, it’s in my shop.

I had some used oak I put together and made a turntable so I can clean and vacuum the chaff collector. In closing, I will be needing this community to help me achieve “coffee bliss” Thank you all for all of you wisdom. Terry S.

2 Likes

Hey Terry … looks like a great setup for venting… up and out thru the wall. As you may have seen in other posts, highly recommend some type of filter before your inline-vent fan there (looks like a Cloudline) to filter the small particles which would protect the life of your fan. See @billc’s posts further up do see what kind of crud you’d be collecting when you use a filter.

Happy Roasting!

Nice job Terry!

I love how clean your ductwork is. But as @Blacklabs mentioned, you’re probably going to need to add a filter before the fan.

I also like the lazy Susan. I did that for my setup for the same reason. (easy cleaning)

You might find that if you are doing dark roasts that you will get a fair amount of smoke from the back of the cooling bowl. Another thing to be aware of is that the smoke that comes out of the back of the cooling bowl can be drawn up into the circuit board on the belly of the Bullet and coat the components with snot and cause a thermal failure.

Yes @billc another good point! I wasn’t thinking of this when I started to connect a vent hose behind the cooling tray fan early on. I did it to direct the smoke closer to my range vent hood because I didn’t want the smoke in my kitchen since that’s where I roast.

Black Labs. Thank you for the information about the circuitry board issue. I might vent my cooler out the wall and put a couple of computer fans by the electronics. All smoke etc., outside and the two computer fans for cooling the base of the roaster. Thanks again Terry

1 Like

No exhaust system just yet. This is our extra garage stall, so I just open the overhang door!

4 Likes

Beautiful view over your roaster!

is this a photo or a window?

Blessed!!!

Hi Shawn. Are you in the U.S? I’m curious where i can get that cart. Thanks.

1 Like

Hello! Yes, I’m in the USA. I purchased the cart from Home Depot back in 2020. Not sure if they still stock them.

1 Like

Looks like a utility or tool cart which I’m sure HD and Lowes still has something like that. Like how you strapped the fire extinguisher to the cart.

1 Like

Thank you both!