What would you suggest to improve Aillio Bullet design!?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Love the repurposed bowls here! :+1:t2: Any details? TIA!

Ahhhh… not at all what I thought. Nicely done!

Check out my 4/14 Rose Diamond roast. I was in p9 for over 2.5 minutes when my ROR collapsed, 5.5 minutes into the roast.

This bean is on the soft side.

We should probably move the roasting component of this elsewhere but it exemplifies my momentum issue.

350g of beans @ 28c ambient, appx 85f. Modest breeze.

If you’re at P9 for 2-1/2 minutes at 85F you might want to check the IGBT temperature to see whether the roaster is limiting current. If this is the case, consider directing a fan up into the back of the induction board as illustrated and discussed in detail here, and/or roasting at a cooler ambient temperature if your situation allows it.

Thank you for the redirect.

I would like to know what I can do to increase heat transfer to the beans via convection rather than via conduction when using a bullet. Might be limited by the design but what can be done to increase heat transfer via convection within the current design?

Hello Gaby,

You can increase the conviction heat transfer by increasing the drum speed. More, by decreasing the batch size.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am already roasting on the max drum speed and my batch size is 350g. What is the smallest practical batch size that the Bullet can roast without compromising temp monitoring (temp probe no longer immersed in the beans) ?

Hello Gaby,

I see some individuals roasts with smaller batches than 350g, but I prefer to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. As you roasting a 350g batches, with a D9 speed, I guess thats all, nothing more you can do. But there is one thing you should be aware of, for small batches, sometimes max drum speed would increase conductivity, because beans are stuck to the drum’s wall and not rotating.

I too have also been roasting with 350 g batches and am beginning to think that I need to roast larger batches to raise convective heat. I need to play with fan speeds too as I’m usually pretty low to not suck too much heat out.

Also, do you all have a lot of chaff in your beans?

Hello Brian,

Increasing the batch size will increase conductivity, conduction heat transfers from the drum and from bean to bean (higher temp to lower temp). If you consider increasing batch size, you have to increase preheat and charge temperatures. When the roasting chamber is hot enough, a high speed drum rotation will increase conviction heat transfer, because bean will be exposed more to the hot air and less conducted with the drum.

Note : Increasing fan speed, will lead to losing chamber’s heat. The fan’s cycle, sends the air flowing through shaft collector towards the fan at the back. If you noticed, there is no cap on the rear fan, thats lead into losing some of the hot air and blend what goes to the roasting chamber with air from the surrounded environment (which definitely cooler than the recycled air).

About the shaft, normally natural processed beans have more shafts than others, probably you are roasting a natural processed beans thats why there is too much shafts.

Great ideas here. One simple change I’d appreciate is some way to lessen the heat transfer that goes into the door handle. Once I get more than a batch or two in, I can barely hold the door open with my bare hand for more than a couple of seconds because it gets so hot. I usually use my stirring spoon to hold it open, instead.

1 Like

Until something better comes along, I keep a glove handy. I slip on a leather work glove as I’m about to drop the roast. If you don’t have a guide for the beans dropping into the cooling bowl you can use a spatula on one side of the door and extend a few fingers of the gloved hand holding the door weight on the other- that will guide beans into the bowl.

Bruce

1 Like

Another suggestion: I know many of us experience the dreaded ambient temperature error when pre-heating, especially when running back-to-back roasts, so I think Aillio really needs to work on better heat protection for the Induction Board electronics. I just had to replace my induction board after 8 months and I’m pretty sure my regular roasting (around 60 pounds a month, usually in a few days of back-to-back roasting) fried it. I know about the little tricks like keeping a desk fan blowing on the board at all times, but we shouldn’t have to do that.

3 Likes

WiFi connection would be nice too, but definitely Bluetooth. A USB-C connector would also be nice.

1 Like

A Power Switch.
I believe it’s been posted before but this is a long thread.

2 Likes

I just started with the Bullet, 8 seasoning roasts half to get me used to the software gui. My first thought is the improve the chaff collector gate. When doing btb roasts (all 8 seasoning roasts were back to back) cleaning out the collector between roasts (during the pre-heat for next batch) the collector was odd to handle and the plug seemed awkward and unnecessarily difficult to reseat (half the time it became unseated during reinstallation of the Chaff Collector.)

1 Like

Did anyone mention a USB-C hub for the computer that will allow adding 3RD party data into RoasTime…… I know, we’re just dreaming here though