Why differences in I-RoR traces in different roasts?

In looking at other peoples’ roasts, I noticed that some show an I-RoR trace that peaks at 70 or so, and some show an I-RoR trace that goes off the top of the chart. Mine always goes off the top of the chart and goes more than twice as high. Other temps on the profile read in degrees F, so I presume the I-RoR is also degrees F. Was there a change in the IBTS hardware/software somewhere along the line that caused this? Which one is real?

Probably that is because the Y-axis maximum value has been set differently for different graphs that you looked at. You can set that value in “settings” ; mine is set at 20, so my I-RoR gies off the chart until 2 minutes or so into the roast.

1 Like

@matilsky Thanks for the reply. That was the first thing I checked. My scale goes to 100F on the screen and all the others I looked at go to 100F as well. With some, the I-RoR trace peaks at around 70. Mine (and many others as well) peak off the top of the chart. I’ve confirmed in the CSV download that my peak I-RoR exceeds 140F. It seems odd to me that the bean surface can gain 140F in 4 or 5 seconds without scorching. 70F I can believe.
Just for grins, you might download the CSV for one of your roasts and check the I-RoR column to see what the peak is.
Cheers
Jim

OK, mine peaks around 90C, which is 194F. That’s a couple of seconds in, and then starts declining. But for 1KG batches, where the PH is 300C, it will go up to 130C, which is 266F. So, without knowing your batch size or PH, and also not knowing those same things for other roasts you’re comparing it to, you can’t expect an exact answer. To peak at 70F would require an extremely low PH or malfunctioning sensor. I do think you’ve just made some confusion with C and F. You also have to understand that B-ROR and I-ROR work differently. If the B-ROR shows -158C, it doesn’t mean the beans are in a cryogenic chamber, as the I-ROR will not be indicative for scorching at 200F or whatever. What is indicative is the IBTS and bean probe readings. Also, the IBTS was upgraded, but I don’t know if there was an I-ROR reading before. A long time ago. You can read about it here.

Anyway, if that doesn’t get you there, please give us a link to what you’re talking about, so we can understand and answer properly.

1 Like

@braca19452f9m Thanks for the reply. Using a PH of 437F and a batch of 450g, I get an I-RoR peak in the mid two hundreds F too. I did check the PH and batch size of the roasts I compared to and they were similar. It’s a dramatic difference. I’ve also checked the temperature scale on the comparison roasts and made sure they were in degrees F. too. Unless RT is somehow recording or converting the temperatures wrong, I’m comparing apples to apples. I didn’t mention B-RoR at all or compare anything to that. I do think that I-RoR could be indicative of scorching. Even though the IBTS rises evenly and reasonably, the I-RoR is showing that within the first 15 seconds of the roast, the bean surface temperature is rising at a rate of 250F/minute. Maybe this is true and normal, but it seems to me that it could cause some micro scorching to the beans surface. Anyway, my major question is why some (earlier, I think) profiles show a peak I-RoR of 70F and why some (more recent) show a peak of 250F under similar conditions. Something was changed somewhere and a question remains about which is correct (if either).
Cheers
Jim

No it is not, yes it is and no it can not. All of this is explained in my post above.

It’s your question to yourself that remains, as we still don’t know what you’re talking about as we haven’t even seen or heard the question with relevant data.

Where are the CSV files stored?

In RW go to your roasts. To the right of the roast you want will be three dots (verticle). Click on this and press Download. This will download a CSV file of that roast. If you’re not familiar with a CSV file, it is a file with data points separated by a comma (sometimes a space or other character). You will need a spreadsheet (like OpenOffice Calc) to convert this to data in spreadsheet rows and columns. You can then save the converted spreadsheet or use it as you wish. From RW, the file will be the values of the machine sensors and settings each second of the roast.
Cheers
Jim