Light (nordic style) roasts , how to ? 😢

I watched several of the Nordic Roast competition videos last night, including a couple where Wendelboe (or staff) talking about their profiles. As far as I can tell, “Nordic roast” means light but developed. Wendelboe mentions that it is hard to develop light roasts and that it is easy to get the hay /grassy flavors. He also mentions a few times that they don’t pay much attention to the phases. In fact, on their Loring they cannot hear first crack so they always log FC at a set temperature then drop the beans 50 to 1:30 after first crack based on the bean and their experiments at getting the best out of the bean for a light roast.

On my 3e I’ve been experimenting with drawing out first crack while only slowly raising the temp after first crack. This can keep the beans light while allowing heat to penetrate to their center. This lets me roast with longer development without overly darkening the bean on the outside and lowering the whole/ground delta.

1 Like

I can concur that hearing the FC on the posted profile is mighty hard and I went with what I know the temperature of the FC on a previous roast.

I just tried this roast:

Greenish to the hilt.

I’m guessing that your drop temp was fine, but the roast moved too quickly to develop the inside of the bean. I may have asked, but can you measure whole/ground color?

Wendelboe also mentioned that they mostly pay attention to total time and color.

Based on Munchow’s work, the longer the roast the lower the drop temp needed to reach the same ground bean color. So with your fast roast you needed to drop at a higher temp, though I’m not sure that would have helped development–probably overdevelop the outside to reach a desired development inside.

The bane of light roasting,

Making sure it is uniformly developed while not creating a hardshell on the outer shell.

I took Morten Munchow’s Bullet roasting fundamentals course this past Monday and specifically asked about Nordic roasts. He says they are typically fast, but that FC at 8:30 is a possibility. The main goal is to roast light without being underdeveloped and that to do that with good results you really need the right green beans.

I started a subscription to Tim Wendelboe’s coffee last month with one bag and got three this month (they are all different). Last months was ok, but nothing that really wowed me. The three this month just seem very acidic and sour no matter how I brew them (even as a cupping). I can’t seem to get sweetness out of them, just acidity/sourness or bitterness. I would think that this means that perhaps I don’t like light roasted coffee, but I had a really nice very light roasted Panamanian Gesha at George Howell’s in Boston a couple of months ago (at $12.00 !!!) and bought a couple of light roasted Howell bags. Those were very nice. I have also had light roasted coffee from a fellow roaster that I liked. Thus far I have measured only one of this months TW coffees, called Nacimiento. They measured Agtron whole/ground at 75/86, which is really not that light.

I think I have successfully did it…

Came out well developed too and gave a couple to a couple of friends and they were satisifed.

3 Likes

I’m going to save your profile for trying it myself… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That profile was done on a grade AA kenyan btw.

How acidic and/or sour is the coffee and how are you brewing it? Are you able to get sweetness out of such a light roast and can you measure the agtron whole/ground color? It should be light given the drop time and drop temp.

3 Likes

@otaibimn What would be interesting to know also is whether you’re on a v220 or v120 board given the discussion by @toddjohnson in his earlier post.

@toddjohnson Maybe I should look for some of Howell’s light roasted beans at Whole Foods near me (no need to schlep into Boston) and try for reference. His stuff is expense!!

Got the 220v version with a fan blowing on the electronics.

1 Like

A couple of times a year I will get some beans from George Howell just to see how his roasts compare. I am getting better, but my taste buds need to be really ‘awake’ to taste some of the subtilties. (some days I can taste everything. Some days not so much)

George’s coffee is very expensive. Especially his Geshas.

Leaning toward the sourness but it is not a lime/lemon affair.

Of course the lighter you go the higher the water temperature and testing was done at 95’C water temperature and a bit more finer grind.

1 Like

The Wendelboe coffees are clogging my V60. I’m using the Gagne/Rao method with water at 212F. 22g coffee in (7 to 7.5 on a 1Zpresso k-plus). I use a chopstick to make a cone depression in the center, tabbed V60 filter, 77g of water for 1 minute bloom with a swirl, then 200g and swirl, then 354 g of water and another swirl. Drawdown is still slow even at a grind setting 7.5. Super sour. I turned H20 down to 205F. That eliminated a lot of the unpleasant sourness/acidity, but introduced astringency. Lower temp water should decrease viscosity, which increases the chance of overextraction or of getting astringent compounds. I suspect it was astringent compounds, because TDS was only 1.01% for the low temp brew. The high temp brews are all over 1.5% TDS.

The Gesha I had as a $12 pour over sold for $80 for an 8 oz bag. Unfortunately (or fortunately) they were out of bags that day. I did buy an 8 oz bag for $27 and another 12 oz bag for $21. Both were quite good.

1 Like

Just finished Gagne’s book. Try down scaling the dose a bit. if clogs are still an issue try removing some agitation. I start removing the swirl after first main pour, then the second pour if needed after checking tds and tasting.

Damn, I just got a personal email from George about an Affogato tasting class that he is having this Saturday. And for a few minutes, I actually considered it. I love me some Affogato.

for those of you who don’t know: George Howell was the inventor of the Frappuccino and When he sold his first coffee business to Starbucks they ended up with that drink. It may have been called something else then.

Okay, It really wasn’t a personal email. If it tastes like ham, it is probably spam.
Sorry for the highjack.

Just to update the thread.

A very light roast. It’s a 900g roast too!

You need to have a fan cooling the electronics below the aillio.

How was it in the cup?

2 Likes

No grassy notes and cupped deliciously.

Gonna let it cool a bit than do a proper v60.