R1V1 - Getting ErC 4 on upgrade to 613

Hi all! After years of limping along on an old Hottop, I just bought a well-used R1V1 (non-IBTS).

In the process of getting set up, I upgraded to firmware 613 (I’m not sure from what), and now the machine is throwing ErC 0004. I’m roasting in my basement at about 22C, with a fan blowing on the underside of the roaster, but the IBTS Ambient sensor is showing about 80C towards the end of preheat.

Another factor: my IR glass might be shot – I’ve rubbed it for about 10 minutes with isopropyl and it still looks and feels matte, not glossy. The bean probe is only trailing the IR temp by about 6C during preheat, and actually gets above IR temp by 10-15C up around 200C.

I’ll order the IBTS upgrade kit, but I’d really like to be roasting while I wait. Is there anything I can do to get it going?

Update: I think I was just over-preheating. On a non-IBTS machine (especially one with questionable IR glass), 205C is way too hot of a preheat. I got a couple of perfect roasts with a 180C preheat. The IBTS temperature still got quite high, but never quite hit the 80C threshold.

1 Like