RoasTime 3 Release Official Thread

This is a thread for discussing the new RT3, which is designed for use with the new Roast.World platform, currently in beta at roast.world Please read through this post before you upgrade.

IF YOU DO NOT FIRST DOWNLOAD AND USE THE LATEST VERSION OF RT2 TO CREATE A BACKUP OF YOUR RECIPES, YOU MAY LOSE THOSE RECIPES FOREVER WHEN YOU UPGRADE TO RT3

Things you need to know before you begin using RoasTime 3 and Beta.Roast.World

1. The old RoasTime 2 (RT2) has been quietly syncing with roast.world, so your old roasts will already be there when you login to the new site with your old credentials. They will still be backed up on the old servers, too, until we take them down.

2. The new RoasTime 3 (RT3) will not sync with the old Roast.World, which means any roasts you do using the new software will not appear on the old Roast.World, but will instead only appear on the beta.roast.world site.

3. Recipes can now sync with beta.roast.world , but in order to sync them, you’ll first need to download the latest version of RT2 to create a backup of your recipes before you move them over to RT3. (Don’t worry, it’s pretty easy.)

YOU MUST FIRST DOWNLOAD AND USE THE LATEST VERSION OF RT2 FROM THE LINKS BELOW TO CREATE A BACKUP OF YOUR RECIPES, OR YOU MAY LOSE THOSE RECIPES FOREVER

How to Upgrade (Important!)

To back up your recipes and begin using RoasTime 3 with Roast.World you must follow three steps . It will only take a few minutes. (If you do not use recipes and all of your roasts are visible on roast.world then you can skip the first two steps.)

1. Download and install RT2 v2.5.7 on your machine.

Windows 64 bit

Windows 32 bit

MacOS

1. Backup your recipes with RT2 v2.5.7. Matthew, the main RT3 coder, has produced a short video to guide you through the process. (You will also be producing a backup of your roast profiles, though this backup shouldn’t be necessary.)

2. Download and install RoasTime 3 from roastime.aillio.com

Congratulations! You can now use RoasTime 3 with Roast.World at https://roast.world

So What’s Different in RT3?

In developing RT3, the initial primary focus has been performance and usability . That means the feel is exactly the same as RT2 – you will not need to re-learn anything. But on the backend, there has been a lot of effort put into making this version of RoasTime the most stable ever.

It will also be far easier to implement new features – eventually including some related to machine learning and integrations with other roasters/platforms. You will already notice one new feature, however. RT3 uses RoR calculations to help predict your roast curves mid-roast.

You can read more about RoasTime 3 at roastime.aillio.com under the “Documentation” menu.

So What’s Different in the New Roast.World?

The new Roast.World has a different look – less purple. There are a lot of back end functionality tweaks to make things snappier. And because it is built using React – a much more modern and robust framework than Ruby on Rails – new features will be far easier to implement, just like with RoasTime 3.

(Please note that although you can sync your recipes with the new Roast.World, you cannot yet view them on the platform, or download recipes from others. These features and also the Roast Analyzer are coming soon!)

Please share any questions, feedback, or bug reports about RoasTime 3 with our coders here in this thread. There is a separate thread for discussing the Roast.World here. (There may be some overlap in the discussions.) Thanks!

7 Likes

If I understand correctly, profiles are backed up automatically. Recipes need to be backed up manually is it? I do not have anu recipes, do I still need to go through the backup process before updating to RT3?

1 Like

Looks nice. There is no Debian file yet. Will the Linux version be showing up eventually? Will we be doing the same app-image gag? Thanks.

1 Like

Having used 2.5.0, I downloaded 2.5.7. When I tried to login, so I could backup my recipes, it refused to accept my login! It stated that that email was already taken! Well, duh! Yes! Of course it is taken. It’s mine. How can I login to the new version??

Some of my recent profiles are missing from my roasts. How do I restore them from the back up directory?

I’ve done all the steps outlined but my version of RT3 doesn’t give the option to retrieve the backups from RT2.

My roasts were imported automatically however.

1 Like

Here are a few initial points of feedback:

1. Allow pasting into the login fields. I use a password manager like everyone should and I was not able to paste my username or password into the form fields.
  2. The logout icon is too prominent and looks like a prompt to close the app. Is the logout interaction common enough to have such prominence in the interface?
5 Likes

Hey @beowulf,

.deb file is actually available - not sure why its not pulling it on the download page. I will get that sorted.

Thanks!

@matilsky What is your email? Are you able to request a password reset? If not, I can send you one.

@cash0612 You may want to check out the video if you are missing anything - there should be a link on the dashboard in RT3 right corner to restore your backup files. We have a script that runs and imports your roasts from RT2->3 every few hours.

@Justin_Rider - all your roasts should be in there, backups are mostly for recipe users.

2 Likes

Thank you, I swear it wasn’t but now it is. So far everything looks really great!

@matthew Can you send me an email as my password reset isnt working.

@FatCityCoffeeRoaster Sure, send me your email.

@matthew can I PM you for the Linux version as the download is broken?

@Baloozzy @beowulf deb link is now fixed on roastime.aillio.com

2 Likes

Hey,

It looks like a couple of accounts went a bit haywire in transit between datastores. Send me your email and I will get you a temporary password setup.

Thanks!

I managed to find the restore button for the missing roasts, however, the roasts are not in order. The sort by date or name buttons were disabled, so, it was quite a task finding the four roasts that I had to restore.

Ah, sorry about that @cash0612 . For anyone else in the future, you can just restore the whole folder without finding the exact ones and it shouldn’t have any negative effect.

1 Like

After my restore, post sync (by the server), I now have duplicate entries. I guess I can delete them, but thought I’d let you know.

Does the duplicate data disappear after a while? That is odd since they should have the same ids. I wonder if you navigated away from the page and back if it corrects itself?