RT 3.2.5 Screen Freeze

I have sent you a personal message.

You sent it to joakiml, not me, right?

I have the same issues as you. On another forum others have had same issues. There was a guy claiming he was an IT engineer. He said to unplug the PC and only use on battery power. He claims that charging will mess with information via USB. I have not roasted trying this yet. FYI. Worth a try tho.

I was using a desktop PC, so unplugging will probably not help. :grin:

Right, just sent it to Joakim as you have it from Slack already.

Anyone else that may be encountering this issue - please try using v3.3.0 here by following the instructions here: V3.3.0 Soft Release

1 Like

I’m having the same issue with RT freezing on occasions after Bullet preheating, before charge. I’m on version 3.3.2, on a laptop running Windows 10. I haven’t had this issue before upgrading.
It goes away on RT close/reopen but it’s messing up the roast data.

1 Like

I thought I had this figured out…thought it was happening when my PC would go into screen sleep mode during PH…but just now, while preheating, it happened while I was still using the PC, using RT to look at Roast History…when I returned to the Roast in progress, it was frozen around 10 minutes into PH .
Win10, RT 3.3.2, 602

I had this happen the same way as you describe. However, I couldn’t just restart RoasTime. If I tried restarting RoasTime, the screen would flash like it was going to load but then nothing would happen. Now when this happens, I end up rebooting my laptop.

I’ve had this happen after charging also and lost the beans in the drum.

I’ve had this happen too. I read not to have pc plugged in when using Roastime, battery only. I thought that worked till the other day it froze, wouldn’t open roastime after I exited/X’d out. Had to restart pc and 45 seconds into it, it froze again. Had to finish the roast manually. Which turned out well.

I noticed RT won’t restart straight away after exiting, I have to wait for a few seconds for it to finish exiting before it will start again. Or I keep trying to open it a few times and eventually it works. It’s faster than a reboot :).

hi I had the issue today of RT freezing telemetry, all other functionality still worked. What i noticed, when i quit RT, it wouldnt restart as just quit straight away - same issue despite multiple restarts. I reinstalled and then had to power cycle roaster as PC reset still had issue occur. Fixed for now - highly frustrating as nearly lost 400g beans. Im using a PC so cannot use laptop. Mains is on same power strip to avoid ground loops.

One thing i noticed with older roaster (Hottop), switching any heavy load mains gear caused similar issue - mains spikes can be one of the factors that seems to affect USB telemetry

RT is cleaning up some resources and synching some data when you quit, so you have to wait until that process is done until you can restart. If you are not connected to the internet it might take a while for it to timeout. What firmware / RT version are you on?

I had the issue of freezing roasts in RT (both telemetry logging and recipe execution) on EVERY SINGLE ROAST DAY since upgrading to RT 3.3.2 early December.

It continued after upgrading to firmware 591 and happened unpredictably on every roast day - sometimes on the first roast within the first 2minutes, sometimes well into the third roast, sometimes in between. It has been the most frustrating experience during my Bullet journey.

On Saturday I finally managed to have 4 batch-2-batch roasts without problems, here is what I had done (for those also trying to eliminate the problem):

• did a full reboot before roasting (Win 10 64Bit)

• shut down most other active (background) tasks

• changed my RoastTime 3.3.2 configuration by turning off “Global Roasting Info Display: Off” and disablint “RoR Predict: Disabled”.

I hope I can continue using my Bullet now without loosing any more roasts - on the positive side it has really trained my agility to jump to the roaster and step in for manual finishing the roast…

Thank you for the recommendations, paulhedonii. I’m having these same freezing issues as everyone else with 3.3.2. I’ll give it a try with my next roast session this weekend. If I still have issues I may try switching to older version.

I’m curious, has anyone tried running 3.3.0 to see if it fixed the freezing issue as advised by mcaillio?

@don.tomlinson Thank you, I hope you are successful.

Regarding mcaillio’s recommendation to try 3.3.0 from last November above: I believe at that time it simply was the then latest version.

Having finished 6 roasts with the new configuration my RoastTime 3.3.2 just froze today again right at the start of roast number 7 (batch 3 of the day), so there are still issues…

@paulhedonii, I roasted 3 batches this afternoon with no issues following your protocol. It was freezing EVERY time prior to that so this is a big improvement! Something else I did as well was turn off the internet to avoid any data transfers that could disrupt the software. Not sure if that helped or not, but will probably continue that going forward.

@don.tomlinson Great to hear that it worked for you, thank you!

I have also started to cut Internet access during roasting and have meanwhile found a way to go back to Riastime V3.2.3, the last version that worked for me without any issues - it was still sitting in the C:\Users[Username]\AppData\Local\RoasTime directory with the 3 last versions installed.

What hardware are you using? Could you please check the task manager and see how many resources are being used, both by RT and other apps?

Hi @jacob , thank you for investigating the issues with Roastime 3.3.x - the Bullet is such a beautiful piece of engineering that it deserves to be usable with pleasure :wink:

As mentioned, my issues started after upgrading to RoasTime 3.3.x (including the latest 3.3.2) on Windows 10 64 Bit Professional.

I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad with the following specifications:

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
GPU Integrated Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz
RAM| 16,0 GB
SSD Harddrive

When starting RoasTime 3.3.2, it immediately consumes about 25% of CPU ressources, in addition the task Windows Explorer also rises to about 25% CPU - immediately falling back to about 1-2% after closing RoasTime.

I hope that helps in solving the issues - keep on the great work!