Ubuntu 20.04 instructions for RoasTime

With the help of the post here (Roaster Not Connected - Linux - #5 by beowulf), I was able to get it working on Ubuntu 20.04. Figured I’d post instructions for anyone else who was having the same issues I was having (mainly that it wouldn’t connect unless I was administrator).

Step 1, add the following udev rules - edit the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-aillio.rules and make the contents look like this:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0483", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5741", MODE:="0666", GROUP="dialout"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0483", ATTRS{idProduct}=="a27e", MODE:="0666", GROUP="dialout

Step 2: Reload your udev rules:

$ sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

Step 3: Add yourself to the dialout group.

$ sudo usermod -a -G dialout yourusername

Step 4: Log out, and back in.

Step 5: Unplug the usb for the roaster (if it was plugged in) and plug it back into your computer.

Step 6: Start the RoasTime application.

That’s it, you should be good. As far as I can tell, no cat is required. When you first connect the roaster, /dev/ttyACM0 is available with dialout permissions, but when you connect the app, it goes away (not really sure how this works) and something like /dev/bus/usb/001/005 is used instead.

If you are having trouble getting it to work without administrator, launch the app as administrator and let it connect to the roaster. Do something like this in a terminal:

$ sudo lsof | grep -i aillio | grep usb

It should show the usb device it’s using. Then you can type:

$ ls -lh /dev/bus/usb/001/005

It should return something like this:

crw-rw-r-- 1 root dialout 189, 0 Jun 16 15:38 /dev/bus/usb/001/005

If it’s not in the dialout group, something is wrong with your udev rules.

1 Like

Arolsen - Thank you for working on this ‘needing to be admin to run Roastime in Linux’ issue. Thanks, as well, for posting it. I think we need to make Linux solutions findable.

I’m still struggling with getting the /dev/bus/usb/003/005 (in my case)/dialout group association established, to the point that I’m doing absurd things to udev rules looking for a change. But it feels like the solution should be just around the corner. So, I’m optimistic, and delighted to have another avenue to explore to solve this.

Thanks.

1 Like

Get it figured out? Are you using the same distro?

Some of the udev rules I found out there had “magic” quotes and it took me forever to realize that was my problem. Don’t know if it’s yours, but if you copied the same ones, maybe you have the same issue.

@arolsen I’m new to Linux and attempting to set up RT on my new system. I have Ubuntu 20.04 and installed the .deb for RT, but don’t see this file in the rules.d folder. Did I miss a step in the install of the .deb for RT?

Thanks for this write up. The udev rules really helped.

This worked for me, thank you!

Same here. Did you figure out the issue?

what if I don’t have a udev file in /etc?

You can create the file

My bullet suddenly showed a yellow light and “Roaster Startup”. Turns out it was a permissions issue and adding the udev rules resolved it. I have no idea why that suddenly happened after many months of happy roasting…

I am running Ubuntu 22, did all of the things that you suggested. I get this as a response.

lsof: WARNING: can’t stat() fuse.roastime-4-6-21.AppImage file system /tmp/.mount_roastiAmVu3Y
Output information may be incomplete.

Any guess what ths might mean?

It will connect when running the RoasTime 3 but is not fully functional.

Thanks!!!