Error Code: 256

Following up, 2 or 3 days later: did my first roast after the firmware update. Roast completed without a hitch, so I’m somewhat relieved. But still concerned…

I’ve also done 2 roasts after firmware upgrade and no problems. Like Matilsky I’m also concerned about 2 things.
1- Did the firmware upgrade just ignore the condition that was triggering the error and not throw a code (ie. - don’t worry about it)?
2- Will my induction board fail from this issue days after my warranty runs out?
I guess time will tell. fingers crossed in the mean time.

Got my new PCB in from sweet marias. powered up with no problems now. Will try to roast in the next day or 2.

The ErC 256 can happen with old firmware when the induction is stopped - goes to P0. The voltage measurement at that transition would be wrong. This has nothing to do with an actual voltage problem, so we have changed the firmware to be less sensitive during the transition period (we are talking milliseconds). The board will still trip on an actual under / over voltage.

1 Like

That would explain why it would preferentially happen during preheating! It’s the only time the power would go to P0. Now I’m even more relieved! Thanks for the detailed explanation, Jacob.

1 Like

Hello,

I have had my Bullet since February of 2021 and used it for a little over a year with no issues at all. However I have been busy the last few months and haven’t been able to use it until today (about 4 months of not using it).

Today I tried preheating it and the red LED on the side of the roaster was blinking, then I was given the error code 256.

So I installed the latest stable firmware and got the same thing. Then I decided to try the newest beta and it preheated the roaster to 240C and made it to the charge promp.

A few minutes after I charged the beans, the roaster stopped heating up again and prompted me with error code 256 again, and the light on the side was also blinking again (a total of 9 blinks).

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and might no a fix?

Thanks!

According to this thread you might want to contact Aillio support.

Oof I was hoping that wasn’t the case. I bought the roaster through Sweet Maria’s, so I just sent them a message

Can you monitor the voltage in RoasTime? Click on the (i) icon top right on the roasting screen.
The error suggest that your voltage is too low.
You can also try another outlet to see if this solves the issue.

Wow. I got the same error last night too but I wasn’t able to update the firmware (I was on the latest stable). The voltage just shows 0. I emailed support and am waiting for the next steps.

So I tried again and was able to complete a roast. And I finally made the switch from Roastime 2 to Roastime 3 to see if I was having a power issue, and voltage readings were in the low 100’s, way too low.

I think the problem might have been the new extension cable I was using. I had never paid much attention to what gauge the cords were before, but the new one is 16AWG and the one I used before is 14AWG. And after doing some research it seems the 16AWG cord might be dropping the voltage.

Im hoping this was the problem and I will report back the next time I roast with the 14AWG cord to see if that resolved the issue.

Good luck! I’ve got a new board on the way. :grimacing:

Hi Jacob:
I got this error ERC 256, I updated the firmware but still not working, Any suggestions?
Thanks

I too have started getting this error code. It happens right when I plug the Bullet in, before pre-heating. When I try to pre-heat the IBTS temp doesn’t change. I checked the voltage with a multimeter and it looks fine. I have the latest firmware (605). Do I need a new board?

I tried looking through the logs but did not see anything. Best thing would be if you could update to RT4 and copy the logs, then send them to support.

I updated to RT4. How do I copy the logs? When I plug the roaster into the computer RT doesn’t recognize it.

Did you let RT4 update?
What is the connection status? Disconnected?
Are you on windows / Mac?
If windows, can you find the bullet in the device manager?
Or does it show up elsewhere?

I did let RT4 update. I am on a Mac. The status says Disconnected.

I am able to find the Bullet in system information. Here’s what it says:

Aillio LTD- Bullet R1 ROASTER FS:

Product ID: 0xa27e
Vendor ID: 0x0483 (STMicroelectronics)
Version: 2.00
Serial Number: 000000000200
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s
Manufacturer: STMicroelectronics
Location ID: 0x14200000 / 5
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0